Long term Visa

Hello all, I am sure this question has been asked a million times, but here goes.  I want to reside in France for the rest of my life.  I am looking at Uzes in Languedoc Roussillion.  I would like to apply  for a ‘long term' visa' is that correct?  I am in Rhode Island in the USA and Boston is the closest city with a consulate.  Is is best for me to get these papers organized on this side of the pond or not?  I think I should.  I really do not want to commute back and forth from France to the USA.  Thank you, just my first question, by the way.  Mrs. G

Hi Mrs G,
If you're American, you have to get your visa from your Boston consulate (unless your husband is a non-French European citizen). You get your first "titre de séjour" year that way, then you renew at your préfecture in France (also determined by where you live, which I think is Nîmes for Uzes).
Good luck!
Julie

Thank you Julie.  I will go to the consulate, it is not far from Newport.  I hope my house sells quickly as I am ready to go!  I am American.   I have spent time in Uzes and like it very much.  I have met a few people who have been helpful.  I have been been going to Paris and Uzès, for many years,  but I do like the country side.  Cannot wait to get there!

Avoid having to do ANY paperwork in France. It is a nightmare involving incomprehensible bureaucracy and attitude. Mine was easier  10 years ago since I married a Frenchman! Now that I want to return and need a long stay visa, no longer married to Frenchman, it is arduous even here in the US. Follow the guidelines on the consulate site exactly....best of luck.

Thank you for your reply am just beginning to fill out the application.  I will get it done stateside.