What is the best method to transfer money From the States to VN?

What institution in the US offers the most secure and easiest to use features for expats?

Are ATM transfers the answer? If so what US bank and what are the expenses?

What is the best bank to work with in VN?

Are bank - to - bank transfers the best? and If so, which bank to which bank?

I am seeing a lot about something called TransferWise. Does anyone have experience with this?

Which works best and easiest and cheapest for you?

Which cards from what US banks work in ATMs in Vietnam?

What are the fees?

All cards from US banks work in VN, but not in all ATMs in VN, and only a very few cards come with reimbursement of fees.  I believe two of them only reimburse if you use their network or their partners.

Schwab is the only bank I know that doesn't care in which country you withdraw the money, from which bank you use the ATM, and how often you do that each month, as long as you don't take more than $1000/day.  At the end of the month, Schwab reimburses every fee incurred in the transaction.  Every.Single.Fee. 

In addition, their exchange rate is comparable to the rate shown on Bloomberg, Oanda, and XE.

Thanks Ciambella. Do you have a Vietnamese bank you recommend?

Not anymore.  I used to have Citi, then closed it, then went to Sacombank, then closed it too although I really liked Sacombank people, they bent over backwards to make things very easy for me from the beginning to the end.  If I have to recommend any bank, it would be Sacombank mainly because their people make the bank a pleasant place to be.

Schwab alone is more than enough for our life in Vietnam and they suit us to a tee: complete freedom of choice at no charge.

Jim-Minh wrote:

Which cards from what US banks work in ATMs in Vietnam?

What are the fees?

I agree with @Ciambella.

There is a lot of discussion in another thread about those subjects:

ATM charges

Thanks OceanBeach92107 - lots of good info there.