General medical insurance questions about living in Penang

Hi All,

I have a few questions about living in Penang as I'm considering getting a retirement visa there.

1) What are the best options for getting medical insurance? I'm considering Cigna.

2) Are there any options for Digital Mail boxes in Penang as I need a contract address to get an insurance policy (before I get to Malaysia)?

Thanks in Advance,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I invite you to have a look at this page : Health insurance in Penang.

Hope it helps. :)

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Cigna is an international insurance and as such might differ significantly from a local medical insurance, not least in the cost.

The difference is Malaysian medical insurances just cover hospitalization and any preamble or follow-up (usually within a stated time period). They also often have annual or lifetime limits for claims. Basically they are financial indemnity policies.

To get a Malaysian medical insurance you would need a long term visa (or in the case of MM2H at least an offer letter). Most people purchase their insurance during a visit here, as there can be requirements such as a medical before inception into an insurance (depends of age and company). They will want to see your passport original and take copies including the visa.

If you already know people living in Penang, you could ask if you might use their address as a c/o until you come and stay in Penang and establish a postal address via for example a lease.