Bank Account

Hi all. I am in process of getting my CPR soon. I wanted to open up a savings bank account. I was wondering out of so many banks, which banks offer good services and wide coverage, along with that, I will like to have ATM card (which is generally provided to all customers), net banking facility, and also I will need to remit money overseas to my Indian accounts. Thanking in advance for all the inputs.

ATM card, internet banking and transfers are offered by literally every bank here.

I don't know what you mean by coverage but I assume you mean branch availability?   if so, I think the local banks would have an advantage here e.g. BBK.  However, there is hardly ever a need to go to the branch in this day and age unless you need something specific.

Overall customer service as far as banks are concerned is lacking in the Middle East. It is hit and miss.  Generally the international banks are a bit better but not by much.

Personally, I prefer HSBC as you can link your accounts around the world and do instant transfers of funds. The exchange rate is not that great but it is convenient.

Another vote for HSBC

XTang wrote:

ATM card, internet banking and transfers are offered by literally every bank here.

I don't know what you mean by coverage but I assume you mean branch availability?   if so, I think the local banks would have an advantage here e.g. BBK.  However, there is hardly ever a need to go to the branch in this day and age unless you need something specific.

Overall customer service as far as banks are concerned is lacking in the Middle East. It is hit and miss.  Generally the international banks are a bit better but not by much.

Personally, I prefer HSBC as you can link your accounts around the world and do instant transfers of funds. The exchange rate is not that great but it is convenient.

Thank you for reply XTang, yes by 'coverage' I meant the availability of branches and ATM. As ATM withdrawal can be done from any other bank's ATM also, and we need to visit branch rarely these days that condition can be overlooked though. Thanks again.

Another thing, how frequently one has to encounter a situation where he needs to give the Cheque? as they are not giving cheque books normally with basic accounts. I don't think as of now I may require cheque, but do you think it is needed?

Cheques are sometimes required for prepayment of rents

Robsut2018 wrote:

Cheques are sometimes required for prepayment of rents

Thanks for your response. But as my current landlord accepts payment in cash or direct bank transfer, it should no be issue for me. Anything else in particular where Cheque will be necessary?

My experience with BBK over the past 1 year is really good.

Net banking and ATM card facility is standard. Cheque books however are offered only for current accounts I guess.

Overseas money remittance would prefer to go through exchanges as they give the best rates.

Cheques in this part of the world (and primarily UAE) are usually used for security i.e. if you take loans, they will ask you to write a post dated cheque and hand it over to them.  Then later on, if you don't pay, they present that cheque, bounce it and put you in jail :).  This practice is due to the reason that in many GCC countries, the law is defined as such, that bouncing a cheque leads to criminal prosecution vs. civil in any other country.  Hence, taking a cheque to safeguard a loan is the safest bet for financial institutions.

Similarly, in the UAE for example, rental cheques are given post dated in advance for the whole year to safeguard the landlord. 

You probably won't need a cheque book if you are not taking loans and / or credit cards outside of your bank provided one.  And / or your landlord accepts payment via cash or bank transfer.