What is Mauritius like?

Hi Guys,

So I'm currently from South-Africa and I have been thinking about going down to Mauritius on a permanent basis.

To tell you the truth I have actually never been Mauritius. I'm busy doing some research as to what Mauritius is like and if one could make a decent living. Especially what crime is like? Also what Mauritius really does look like? What I mean by this is... usually when googling Mauritius you get all these wow factor photos ext. Is it any different from that?

I would also really like to get some take on what it was like for some of you when you first arrived in Mauritius... what difficulties may have arised, if any.

I've also seen that when purchasing a property from $500 000 and upwards one would be entitled to form part of the permanent resident status. Which is really awesome!

If coming from South-Africa. Would it be difficult to sort out a Mauritius drivers license?

What is Internet like on island? Especially in the Grand Baie part of the island.

And one last thing... I see some of the South-African shops like Woolworths is available on the island. Do any of you know if woolworths foods is available?

Thanks guys...

Regards

Christo

Welcome to the forum  :)

Whilst waiting for replies click on "Discover" at the top of the page and check out the guide and other sections there for info. Also take the time to read other threads here too.

Hi,

I guess other SA expats will probably give you a better insider perspective of life in Mauritius. So I'll restrict myself to the general points in your questions.

The best way to get a firsthand feel of Mauritius is to come as a tourist for a month or two.

Crime is a lot less than in SA but it's still there, especially petty crimes and opportunistic larcenies.

The island does look like what you see on travel postcards in some places but quite different in others. Mauritius is really a mish-mash of high end spots, middle class areas and also some run-down neighbourhoods just like in all countries.

The $500,000 property investment grants you a resident permit for as long as you long the property. Once sold again, the permit is no longer valid.

Generally, you can easily convert your SA license to a Mauritian one.

Internet is what you pay for. You have packages of up to 100 mbps fibre-to-the-home. You also have Airbox services from other service providers.
Mobile data packages are OK...decent speed at reasonable rates.

Haven't seen Woolworth food so far but a large variety of South African food and groceries are available in Mauritius.

Hope this helps.

Expensive

Hi Stumpy,

Thanks so much. I'll definitely go and have a look at other threads as well. That should be very helpful. 😁

WinstonH wrote:

Hi,

I guess other SA expats will probably give you a better insider perspective of life in Mauritius. So I'll restrict myself to the general points in your questions.

The best way to get a firsthand feel of Mauritius is to come as a tourist for a month or two.

Crime is a lot less than in SA but it's still there, especially petty crimes and opportunistic larcenies.

The island does look like what you see on travel postcards in some places but quite different in others. Mauritius is really a mish-mash of high end spots, middle class areas and also some run-down neighbourhoods just like in all countries.

The $500,000 property investment grants you a resident permit for as long as you long the property. Once sold again, the permit is no longer valid.

Generally, you can easily convert your SA license to a Mauritian one.

Internet is what you pay for. You have packages of up to 100 mbps fibre-to-the-home. You also have Airbox services from other service providers.
Mobile data packages are OK...decent speed at
reasonable rates.

Haven't seen Woolworth food so far but a large variety of South African food and groceries are available in Mauritius.

Hope this helps.

Hi WinstonH,

Thank you so much for the informative answer! I agree with the month or two visit as a tourist to the island. That will giive me a much better understanding.

I've started speaking to esate agents and they couldn't really answer my question in regard to internet, so thanks for that.

Really appreciate your help!

Hi Christo,

You will miss Woollies Foods over here!  The up-side is that you may learn new cooking skills in the kitchen:)

Regards,
Wendy