Expat dogs life in Phnom Penh, is it possible? Help

Dear All

I'm writing you as I'm trying to collect as much information as possible about dogs life in Phnom Penh.
I have been recently offered a job for a period of time in PP and I'm assessing if it's feasible to move with my dogs.
Being an expat my company would give me the possibility to live in a central residential area however after reading on a few forums I have a few serious concerns and questions.
I have a big hunting dog and a puppy whippet and they do need to run and have regular activity. Are there any green areas or parc where my dogs would be able to run freely (and safely)? Is country side easily reachable by car during week ends for hiking etc? Do hotels, clubs and restaurants accept dogs? Are errant dogs dangerous for my pets? Can veterinary help be easily found in the city center if an urgency occurs? 

Thanks a lot in advance for sharing with me your opinions.
Before accepting this job proposal I really need to know if my beloved dogs will have the possibility to have an happy and safe life in Phnom Penh.

Thank you

Hello.

Although most of your requirements can be fulfilled you should consider the difference in climate and if that is a good thing for your dogs.

It can be very hot here, and also very humid, rain can flood the streets.
As you are Swiss and probably live in Switzerland now, I would advise you to realize the difference in daily weather. Of course you will have AC in your apartment, but the dogs need to go out too and if you say yourself you want them to have a good run from time to time. Don't know if running in 35C is a good thing for dogs, dogs cannot sweat except through their feet, the only way to cool down is to hang their tongue out of their mouth....

There are lots of dogs here and they do well in this climate. But those are born here, they don't know anything else than this climate. Dogs that are used to live in moderate weather areas have a big problem to adjust to the life here, and the larger the dog the more problems.

It's just my thinking as a long time hobby dog breeder, decide what is best for your dogs.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team