Dog Breeders in Ecuador

If you have experience with buying a dog from a dog breeder do share that info here. Considering that Ecuador is a dog-loving country, I think it's important that we share information about the better (and not so good) dog breeders.

On some of the classified websites, it seems to be mostly non-professional families selling puppies, but there also seems to be some businesses who are willing to ship a puppy anywhere across the country.  :/  That seems kind of extreme to me, but then again I've never had experience with this kind of thing

vsimple,

I like this topic.  I raised and trained labs for "work" here in the US as well as teaching full time.  I loved both "jobs."   

My husband and I want to get one or two when we are in our home most of the year.  We can't right now with flying back and forth.

We would love to find a good breeder of Labs in Ecuador.   We would visit the place that they are bred and want to see the parents!

I hope some people can share some good informaiton.

Thank you!
Robin

I think you shouldn't have a problem with that particular breed as it's popular here.

But having to physically check out the parents is that to see their temperament or if they're "pure"? or both?

Ecuadorians are quite lax in this regard. They'll settle for a certificate that states the parents are such and such breed thus proving purity.

I brought a Borzoi or russian wolf hound down to ecuador three yrs ago. Are there any breeders here ir will I need to go back toUS when he passes in 3_4 yrs?

vsimple,

The condition of the breeders location is important.  Cleanliness, disease issues, joint issues, questions, etc.

The temperment and look and gait of the parents is important and other things can give insight about the pups.

My husband and I want healty pups that show "intelligent" signs.  Vets are not always available so we don't want to get a pup or two that is in pain because of health issues.

Our pets are part of the family and we treat and train them well!  I am not comfortable flying pups down to Ecuador.

I hope this topic is seen by many.

Thanks,
Robin

RobinJoel wrote:

vsimple,

The condition of the breeders location is important.  Cleanliness, disease issues, joint issues, questions, etc.

The temperment and look and gait of the parents is important and other things can give insight about the pups.

My husband and I want healty pups that show "intelligent" signs.  Vets are not always available so we don't want to get a pup or two that is in pain because of health issues.

Our pets are part of the family and we treat and train them well!  I am not comfortable flying pups down to Ecuador.

I hope this topic is seen by many.

Thanks,
Robin

Good info, I'm going to check out the parents and siblings when I buy my new pup. I'm looking for one between 8-12 weeks.

HI,

My husband and I know how important it is to check out the kennel and the parents.  It is good to see the conditions of the kennel and other dogs that may be there.
I used to train our labs to do lots of "work."  Some labs have good innate skills and some don't.
By spending a few hours with the pups and parents, most people can learn a lot!  Again, I said a few hours with the kennel, parents, pups! If a breeder does not want a  person to spend that much time at the kennel, then I would have serious reservations.

Sorry for all the typos in the last email!

Thanks,
Robin

I know some people are uneasy talking about this but I feel it's important that people understand the situation in Ecuador. Some people adopt/buy dogs and when taking care of the dog(s) is too much, they simply let them loose in the streets.

I have seen numerous purebreds on the streets. So what's the solution? The best solution is the Holland Stray Dog Solution, where apparently not single stray dog exists.

That's right, not a single stray dog on the streets. The reason is simple: If a dog owner abandons their dog the penalty is 1 year imprisonment/$16,000 fine or both.  :top:

Considering this is not a realistic in Ecuador. As a worst case scenario - the solution is to return the dog to the breeders you got the dog from, if for whatever reason you can't cope with owning a dog.

Looking for an English Mastiff, I love them and have one in the states. Does anyone know of any breeder here in Ecuador? I have a huge property and need something that looks intimidating but is a big soft. The ones I have in the states are 209lbs and 170lbs (they need plane tickets and i will not allow them to ride in the belly) hence why they are with my adult children I'm the states. Thanks all.
Hi Delvinmcdaniel,

Welcome on board !

I hope that members will be able to guide you and provide some recommendations. You can also drop an advert in the Ecuador classifieds, we will send your search in our newsletter, might get you some offers.

Regards,
Bhavna

This is a somewhat related topic. I want to bring my 42 lb female spayed Catahoula with me to Ecuador when I move. I'm glad to hear that it is a dog friendly place but I've also read that there are more dogs than people and many, many strays. Are there many instances of maulings or aggressive, scary dogs in the streets?  How safe is it for cats there with so many stray dogs?  I hear so many wonderful things about Ecuador that I hope I am misinformed, because it's worrisome.

Cat the dog.

Well, this was news to me:  despite the first three

letters in your breed's name, a Catahoula is a dog!

At 42 pounds, your Catahoula may not be able

to outrun trouble from other animals on the streets

of Ecuador.

I've noticed a marked decline in the number of

stray dogs and stray packs of dogs in El Centro,

Quito, since I moved here in 2013.

However, that does not make predictable what

you and your Catahoula may encounter when

scents fill the air.

More research may be indicated, although humans'

ability to predict animal behavior has been in

limited supply for eons.

cccmedia in Quito

Do you think the same danger exists to the same degree in CotAcachi and/or Cuenca?