Mexico or Costa Rica?

Thoughts on retiring to Mexico as opposed to Costa Rica?

I have visited both and leaned toward CR: thinking differently lately, but Mexico is a country I know less and have spent less time in.

The upscale / expat / more expensive sheen to CR is making me pause.....I feel more authenticity in Mexico.

Any thoughts very appreciated! I would want to be on the East Coast of Mexico. Gracias!

Would not want to own a car, wish to walk to shop etc.. Taxi when necessary....

According to me, Mexico is better than Costa Rica. It is my favorite spot. A few months back I purchased a home in this place with the help of viacapitalepv.com/. That was lovely.

I agree Meico has more to offer. Better food, real history and architecture and much cheaper, better transportation and infrastructure.

Celadon wrote:

Thoughts on retiring to Mexico as opposed to Costa Rica?

I have visited both and leaned toward CR: thinking differently lately, but Mexico is a country I know less and have spent less time in.

The upscale / expat / more expensive sheen to CR is making me pause.....I feel more authenticity in Mexico.

Any thoughts very appreciated! I would want to be on the East Coast of Mexico. Gracias!

Would not want to own a car, wish to walk to shop etc.. Taxi when necessary....

Costa Rica. Mexico is getting crowded.

Really depends on what you are comfortable with. Some places seem nice on first few days but after a passage of time you start to seeing the reality that might be different from your perspective. I would recommend you to live a few months in each place and meet with locals. You'll get to see the culture, traditions, behavior of people living there.

I have been to Mexico (Playa del Carmen - Tulum area) 3 times.  I have been to CR once and spent 10 days there in 4 cities.  I feel like it depends on your needs and wants,  I love Mexico for the beaches.  The water is crystal clear and there is a lot to do.  In CR, at least when I was there, the water wasnt much different than in Florida...kind of murky.  (If I'm going to get eaten by a shark, I at least want to see it coming.)  :)  Honestly I love to snorkel and you just cant snorkel if the water isnt clear.

CR however has the jungles, sloths, monkeys, exotic birds, etc.  They also have the Fer de Lance.  My favorite city that I went to in CR was Pureto Veijo.  It was a small rasta town with one payed road, 20 miles north of the Panama border on the Caribbean side.  Not sure about the housing situation there but I did meet a few expats.  An expat masseuse offered a 5 minute chair massage for $5 at the "market".  I also met a former personal chef who had worked for rich people, cooking on their yachts and had cooked with Gordon Ramsey who bout a tiny shack on the beach and turned it into his dream, a small kitchen cooking gourmet food with fish fresh off the boat.  His wife served patrons at tables on the beach, under a cover and you got a meal for about $12 that would have easily went for $30 here in the states. 

Of course, I am comparing a tourist area in Mexico to a small, out of the way place in CR, but hopefully, you get the idea.

Rob