Violence in the surf in Mauritius

Hi Guys, just wanting to make you either aware, comment or offer advice. My family and I have purchased land in La Gaullete and are building a house soon. We have a major concern for our kids safety whilst surfing in Mauritius. There are a gang of French expat or Local  surfers that are called the white shorts. They have been terrorizing tourist and even new residents surfers in the surf. There have been numerous bashings of both adults and kids in the surf mainly at Tamerin Bay and some other surf breaks in the south. (just google violence and Tamerin Bay) The most recent was a South African Expat who was beaten up at Tamerin Bay and is in the process of taking the ring leader to court to hopefully have him found accountable for his actions over the last 20 years and punished to the full extent of the law. The expats or recent migrant offenders should be deported. Some other main other offenders are a pilot  and the other a well know surfer and rally car driver whom migrated from France 10 years ago. I've surfed Tamerin bay over the years and One eyes at Le Morne and have been harassed by these guys. I'm able to look after myself pretty well and are fully trained  at Martial arts. I managed to stay calm when confronted and hold my ground. They gave me a hard time but I still managed to get a few waves. My Daughter and  don't want to be confronted every time we go for a surf and be put in any danger. It has escalated in the last few years whereas you cant even paddle out at these surf breaks without being sent back to the shore and threatened with violence and those whom cant defend themselves or comply are viciuosly  bashed. In the past the victims have just gone home and not reported it ridden it off as a bad experience and vowed never to return. My main concern is the lack of action by the authorities and the Mauritian department of tourism. I've contacted the Dept Of tourism via email three times and they don't reply. The guy whom was attacked recently said the local authorities did nothing. Is it not a crime against the country of Mauritius to bash both adults and kids in the surf for just being out in the surf? Why is the gang still fully functioning in a modern society being unchecked and destroying the name of your country? Are people being paid off to turn a blind eye? It makes no sense what so ever to me. On a final note we do not come to Mauritius to disrespect the local surfers. They have put the time in there and deserve the best waves. I don't blame them for sending in tourist or other wave hogs or disrespectful surfers in to the beach. Its the methods they employ to do this and the fact you cant even paddle out to the break anymore to show you only want a few waves and you will respect the local rules. My wife is Mauritian and is totally disgusted that a few ex French can do this in her country of birth and get away with it. My kids have Mauritian blood in them as deserve to able to enjoy their culture in their ancestreal home. Thanks You

I totally agree, its disgusting that these thugs get away with this. We have a world famous break here in Tamarin and it is being held hostage. I have met a few surfers that have come to Mauritius especially for this break and haven't been able to surf it because of these "White Shorts"

Name and shame as a start I say!

Perhaps outsiders did not respect the unwritten codes of the game.

The unwritten rules are the same throughout the surfing community worldwide. Other than that the frequency of these altercations indicates against not respecting codes.

Seems like this unwritten code is "unless you're on of us, get out of the surf or we will get violent"

YES THATS EXACTLY RIGHT!!

Perhaps, but it doesn't give the right of these people to inflict assault and battery at their will. Surely this is against the law in Mauritius?? Why haven't they been convicted, who has been paid off?  I agree that the rude disrespectful surfers are dealt with but not in this way.

The world is now watching its all over the internet. The Authorities will be forced to act hopefully

Bruce, with these guys no one is allowed to paddle out even so you don't even get a chance to disrespect the local code! remember the "code" is not a statutory law

You misunderstood my reply I am in total agreement with you, I am saying it cannot be caused by dropping in on another wave etc due to the frequency of the occurrences.

Sorry Bruce my misunderstanding. I have nothing against locals protecting their waves to a point. These guys take it way to far and have broken the law many times in the process. I wonder why the local autohrities ignore it as tourism is one of the Island main industries and the word is out. Its all over the internet!

Acting upon the "rules" in an extreme manner is disrespectful in the first stance, whereby outsiders are not even given the "chance" like you said.

I hope the authorities set the records right in this matter.

However, I wish to point out that whatever is reported via internet articles or through one-sided testimonies should not be taken for granted or absolute truth.

These incidents have commonly hit south africans. Without making it a general case or without offending anyone, some south africans tend to behave in very vicious and intruding way, as if everyone should be at their feet, which has unfortunately been detrimental to the "way" or "general opinion" people have on the south african diaspora in Mauritius.

I agree that some surfers have a sense of privilege where ever they chose to go. The paddle out at foreign breaks as tho they own them like there waves at home. Locals wanting to be locals where ever they go. These guys should definitely be pulled into order. But not beaten senseless. Assault and battery is illegal 100 meters off shore and on the ground! The bad behavior of a Few french expats is all over the internet all over the world and giving Mauritius a bad name. The word is out. All of they storey's are basically the same. I have aslo been in contact with the latest victim who is pursuing legal action. Its all on video and they have witnesses to testify I have experienced harrasement myself but not beaten up as I'm quite solidly built. My very first wave in <Mauritius I was dropped in on and the dude shoulder paddled with me back out to the line up, welcome to the stone age! Like I've said before my family are Creole Mauritians and they are appalled  at the actions of these white French guys and my reports when I get back from a surf.