Real estate agents, auto Insurance etc

Geez, what a confusing mess.  As the time approaches for the move there seems to be million things on the proverbial plate.  I heard in a blog I watched that getting rid of all one's accumulated things is the hardest part. I think that's, at least partly, true.   I can use help on 2 at present.

1) auto Insurance.  My car ins co. said they can attach a 'rider' to my US policy which covers Mx.  Do the Mx. authorities recognize that sort of thing?  Also, I won't really be driving at all in the US so don't feel I need a US policy. When returning I'll be flying. But Texas requires Insurance proof to get a license or a renewal.  I understand that many don't bother to keep up US lic/ Reg.  This sounds risky & what occurs if you return (I understand that at the border one can purchase a short/term US policy) to sell the car, which I intend to do after I get settled down tin Mx?
Are you feeling the maze-like quality of all this?  What are the members experience with this & a suggestion for a good Mex. ins. Co.?

2). I can still use the name of a few trusted real estate agents for the Compeche to San Christano area.

Any help with either of these issues would be helpful to me.

Thanx,
Michael

My US based insurance told me the same thing.  But I found it was more expensive than just getting a policy with Discover Baja.     www.discoverbaja.com   I am using them for short term coverage currently.  But, once we move permanently I will probably use them for total coverage.

From my experience, if you are planning  to return to the US to live and own/insure a car, the US insurance companies like to see continuous coverage for two years prior. So, we were fortunate enough to leave our cars in the US wih family or friends and maintain the minimum coverage. When we returned, we weren't charged any “penalty” for being uninsured.
We'll likely do the same for our 2019 move. And we will be importing/nationalizing our other car which we'll leave in Mexico (with family) when we eventually return to the US.

Thanx I've written down the Co. name. 
Have you kept yr car registered back in the states & keep US insurance?  If you don't keep the US ins. how do renew your lic. and registration?

You must be from KC.  Thanx for your response.

I'm going to have the car in Mx. and won't be bringing back except perhaps to sell.  It sounds as though you make it back often enough to easily renew Lic. & registration.  I'll have it registered in Tx. but have no real reason to go there much.  But they're the closest and great for tax purposes.  By the way, are there accountants in the Yucatan who can do US taxes for expats?

Michael

Interesting that TX wants you to have a car to have a driver's license.  Even in the "nanny" state of CA they don't care.  In fact, you can register your car in CA and not even live here (why I don't know).  Anybody can get a DL in CA just past the test and pay the $$$, no vehicle required.   

Obviously if the vehicle isn't financed then the lien holder doesn't factor in.  CA doesn't even care if you have insurance unless it's being operated on the CA roadway.

You're certainly right.  But I do want to do both things & the person from Tx. Dept of Pub safety outlined the steps to me. Insurance was one of the items I needed for inspection.  I think it's the same  in Vt. & NJ.  Maybe I can just cancel the ins right after I get the reg. & lic.

Michael

The first time I lived in Mexico, we kept our cars at my mom's in Missouri and one with a friens in NC where I had been living. Our vehicles were registered in Oklahoma (my home state and where my DL was issues) and NC (husband's DL).
For the move we are planning now, we are going to sell both cars just we don't have to hassle with any registration. I'll have my mom put me on her insurance ao I have continuous coverage and I won't have problems when we return to reside in the US in 3-5 years.
My Texas DL expires after our move date so I will renew before I go. However, I'll have to make sure I am insurable on my mom's Missouri policy with a TX DL.

Thanx.

Michael

Who told you that you had to have a car to get a drivers' license in Texas? That is definitely not the case.  Proof of insurance is required for an inspection, which is required for registration. All state, county, and local LEOs have access to a database that verifies insurance and/or registration through their computers in case you don't have documentation (which they ALWAYS ask for even though they don't need it) or the reg sticker. Like most states, we have certain counties that require emissions and some that don't. The difference is $7 vs. a stupid variable rate between $12 & $32 depending on area and year model. Jury is still out on whether or not the state will allow a PO Box for reg - I'm in the process of doing that right now and anticipating a rejection due to the fact that insurance requires a physical address and all their danged databases are linked. Hope I didn't just give you a bunch of irrelevant info! If you want advice or help, feel free to PM and I'll do what I can.

I just have a car which I'm not ready to let go of.  I meant that I was told Tx. requires a physical address rather than a PO or electronic mailbox.  I'll know by next week as I'm in Tx. now & will visit the county tax accessor on Fri.  I'd like to know how you make out tho & I'll write with my results

Dukie1

Be very careful about insurance. I got ABA Seguras when I first came here in my U.S. car.  I bought that insurance in the U.S. before coming. When my car was flooded they stalled until my leather seats had rotted. The car was basically totalled but they stalled around for months with a company that knew nothing about my car model. I went to the U.S. to sell the car and lost 1/2 of its value plus it broke down twice on the trip. It seemed that there was water still in the transmission of the "fixed car". Basically, I lost everything on that car. It was a total write-off.

Now I have a Mexican car and its insured by Zurich recommended by a Mexican friend. I also got my car into a garage in case the tide rolls into the city again. If you have a Mexican car you will have fewer problems. The police don't check me repeatedly as they did with the U.S car now they glance at my plate and wave me on.

I live in the area you ask about, but My agent went back to England. Do you have any Mexican friends? they are one of the best reference sources.

It looks as though I've got AXA.  Thanx for the head.  I just got issued my Residence Temporal visa.  I'm about to write on the experience no.  No... no friends in that area yet, perhaps we'll get to meet.

Sage advice.  I had a 1 car accident on my way down.  I'm now looking for a body & fender guy.