Good affordable area in mauritius

can anybody share a list of decent areas for a retired couple in Mauritius.  We don't want to spend much more than R4m on a house.

Pointe aux sable

thank you so much!!

cherylannjobe wrote:

can anybody share a list of decent areas for a retired couple in Mauritius.  We don't want to spend much more than R4m on a house.

4M Rand ~ 9.2 M Mauritian Rupees IIAR
Hence if you are expats and want to make a purchase , you won't be able to buy a house but an apartment in a R+2 apt building.

If you want to rent , well check the going rates and locations on

https://www.lexpressproperty.com/en/

thank you so much!  it's expensive there!

Mon Choisy, Trou aux Biches and Perebere

Many thanks Mohammad B for taking the time to let me know!

For R4m (around MUR 9 million), you can get pretty high standing modern apartments. Loads of new projects cropping up.

Most popular places for expats are Tamarin, Grand Bay, Pointes aux Cannoniers, Trou aux Biches if you want coastal living,
More inland, popular spots are Ebene, Moka, Quatres Bornes.

Even for MUR 4 million you canget a nice house or apartment in places like Quatre Bornes, sodnac etc.
Keep your eyes open, you'll definitely get a good deal.

Joseph79 wrote:

Even for MUR 4 million you canget a nice house or apartment in places like Quatre Bornes, sodnac etc.
Keep your eyes open, you'll definitely get a good deal.

As an expat, you can't buy a house valued at MUR 4 million.

You can only buy properties in select programs like IRS/RES/PDS or an apartment with a minimum cost of MUR 6 million in a R+2 building.

You said "As an expat, you can't buy a house valued at MUR 4 million.

You can only buy properties in select programs like IRS/RES/PDS or an apartment with a minimum cost of MUR 6 million in a R+2 building."

Hello WinstonH!  Many thanks for taking the trouble to give me this information.  So MUR is Mauritian Rupee which is 2.2 to the ZAR.  so MUR6 million is around ZAR3.2m

what can we buy for say MUR10m?  any houses at all in an expat zone? 

And if nothing, what are rental costs per month?  electricity and water?  are there supermarkets?  what would you estimate the cost of living to be for two unpretentious vegans?

Is it easy to get in to Mauritius if you don't purchase a home?

I hope you don't mind me bombarding you with questions.

Thanks Avery!

cherylannjobe wrote:

You can only buy properties in select programs like IRS/RES/PDS or an apartment with a minimum cost of MUR 6 million in a R+2 building."

Hello WinstonH!  Many thanks for taking the trouble to give me this information.  So MUR is Mauritian Rupee which is 2.2 to the ZAR.  so MUR6 million is around ZAR3.2m

And if nothing, what are rental costs per month?  electricity and water?  are there supermarkets?  what would you estimate the cost of living to be for two unpretentious vegans?

Is it easy to get in to Mauritius if you don't purchase a home?

I hope you don't mind me bombarding you with questions.

Have you read the guide on Mauritius to see how you can live on the island?
https://www.expat.com/en/guide/africa/mauritius/

As a non-citizen you can't purchase a house outside the PDS/IRS/RES scheme but can buy an apartment in a R+2 storey building : Rs 6 Million or above.

I gave you the link above to get an idea on rental properties.

I can as I am married to a Mauritian citizen, but I should have clarified, my mistake.

Joseph79 wrote:

I can as I am married to a Mauritian citizen, but I should have clarified, my mistake.

Another clarification would be that the your wife remains the legal bearer of the property unless/until you are naturalised as a Mauritian citizen.

With that amount of money you will be able to own a house or appartment. However, in order to achieve permanent residency in Mauritius you need to acquire a residential property of not less than USD 500,000.

The most viable option in your case is to apply for residence permit for retired non-citizens. If you are 50 years old minimum and you are able to justify a minimum amount of 40,000 USD revenue obtained outside of Mauritius to be repatriated annually, then you are qualified for this scheme.

Under this scheme, you can either rent or buy a residential property under government approved schemes such as PDS. With the funds to have, you can easily find a luxury appartment in the coastal regions of Mauritius.

cherylannjobe wrote:

1. For MUR 10 M , and as a NON-CITIZEN , you are allowed to buy only an apt > MUR 6M  and you won't have a resident permit. You will be able to have a tourist visa for 180 days per calendar year ( 2*3 months renewable after the first 3 months)

2. However if you are 50 y.o or above, you can apply for a retiree permit that will allow you to reside on the island as long as you bring in USD 30K every year ( or a monthly transfer of MUR 2.5M into a Mauritian bank account)  .
In that case , depending on your finances you will be able to purchase an apt > MUR 6 M or something well above  depending on your pocket book.

3. Purchasing a PDS/IRS/RES at USD 500K or above  will give  you  a Residence Permit as long as you own said property .

good point.
but for me, I am naturalized so that escaped me.

Hello,
I would suggest that you initially rent a house (Rs 15,000 pcm) available on the market and take all your time to see the options available to settle yourself in Mauritius!

Dave

Hi

Send me an email/inmail and I'll introduce you to a few people who can advise you on all your options.

Regards