Can You Talk about Why You Move or Plan to Move to Vietnam?

I registered this account since the first time I visited Vietnam.  I planned to be an expat in HCMC in 2015 but I am still in Shanghai China now for many reasons.

I am going to fulfill this plan in 2018-2019.

The reason why I want to move to HCMC, Vietnam:

1.    Consumption level is low compared to Shanghai. My income in Shanghai can be described in middle to low but high in HCMC. All expenses are lower in HCMC.
2.    Economy is going up which means opportunities for investment. Business environment is daily worse in China so I hope we can start a new business in HCMC.
3.    HCMC may be the largest, most developed and open city in Vietnam. Life here are modenized.
4.    We are not wealthy family in Shanghai. Those developed countries are so expensive to move in. With the money we have, we can live a well-being life in HCMC.

I don't know if the above thoughts are “realistic”. I also know there are many difficulties:
1.    Language is difficult to learn.
2.    No relatives and no friends at the beginning.
3.    Culture is different.
4.    Chinese may not be so welcomed like Japanese, Korean, etc.
5.    Corruption may exist in every circle of doing business.
6.    Others that I can't image.

I hope friends here can share experience with me so that I can make a wise decision.

Thanks in advance.

Hola,

I encourage you on your plans, move is also of the betterment.

Well I am also planning to move from Dubai to HCMC for a simple life (out of luxury), so will you share with me your business ideas that what kind of business you are planning to start in HCMC.

Regards,

Simple...met a beautiful Vietnamese girl.

And how it will serve the purpose.....

Log distance is tough, but does wonders for airmiles.

Long term makes visa for me really easy, so hoping to find a decent job and make the move

Good Luck with your plans...

I like the country, the people, and the food. I have been to VN 7 times in the past 20 years and have enjoyed each trip. I speak enough Vietnamese to get around well. I have friends and family in Vietnam. I'm retired and can live well there.

Your goal is simple. Hope you can find her.

I was also in Vietnam and i did backpacking for 2 months there and i love this country. Now i am planning to start some business there...

So, Eileengu.... what are your ideas for business in Vietnam may be you can share.

I love the food, and the people. Most people are friendly and willing to help you. I can not wait to make the move. Back in November to look for some accommodation.

I wish you good luck with your move and i hope we can catchup around..

Vietnam is an amazing country, people are super friendly, food is ort of this world.

Can or think if anything bad to say really.

My plans to work and move at the end of the year are taking shape slowly. Wedding in January so lots to organise and do yet.

Anyone that hadn't been to Vietnam is missing out

Hello I'm  phrynch from Philippines Im planning to move to Hanoi.. 
Any suggestions or warning..  Thank you

Simple, family and we love country side life.    Bút be careful, VN is corrupt like chịna at all levels.  Second, there seems to be a lot of anti Chinese attitudes.

Everything and every where has the good and bad points, just come and see the positive things and live as the way locals live, if you bring negative mind every where you will just see negative parts even if you go to US

umm let's see...why I like Vietnam...ummm oh yah, cheap beer, beautiful Vietnamese women...Viet women are the most beautiful of all Asian women....cheap beer, beautiful Vietnamese women, the lovely sound of car horns, zippy motorbikes in all directions, the amazing smell of carbon monoxide, cheap beer, beautiful Vietnamese women, being stared at everywhere I go because I'm nước ngoài.....cheap beer, beautiful Vietnamese women....It's the only place I like to travel and am heavily addicted.

vndreamer wrote:

Simple, family and we love country side life.    Bút be careful, VN is corrupt like chịna at all levels.  Second, there seems to be a lot of anti Chinese attitudes.

Yes, the two things are my concerns.

Any suggestion?

Texan71 wrote:

umm let's see...why I like Vietnam...ummm oh yah, cheap beer, beautiful Vietnamese women...Viet women are the most beautiful of all Asian women....cheap beer, beautiful Vietnamese women, the lovely sound of car horns, zippy motorbikes in all directions, the amazing smell of carbon monoxide, cheap beer, beautiful Vietnamese women, being stared at everywhere I go because I'm nước ngoài.....cheap beer, beautiful Vietnamese women....It's the only place I like to travel and am heavily addicted.

Bui Vien is very happy about it!

Andy Passenger wrote:
Texan71 wrote:

Bui Vien is for amateurs
I have my secret places I like to go away from Bui Vien

Texan71 wrote:
Andy Passenger wrote:
Texan71 wrote:

Bui Vien is for amateurs

Oops, sorry. My mistake.
I didn't know you are an expert on cheap beer and Vietnamese girls.

Andy Passenger wrote:
Texan71 wrote:
Andy Passenger wrote:

Bui Vien is for amateurs

Oops, sorry. My mistake.

Now you know

Accept you're a foreigner. Understand that not everyone is going to love you.

Prejudice runs deep everywhere in the world, and you'll be judged just because you're of a certain race.

A smile goes a very long way, in ironing out negativity.

My experience of Vietnamese people as a western foreigner is a lot more positive than in Thailand or China.

Here in the US, all kinds of crazy going now regarding prejudice, racial, and now even gender...some places in the US like my friend in Seattle says you can be sued if you say in a reference way “she” or “her” and that person identifies as a him, then the person using the wrong gender identity word can be sued.

I go to Vietnam because I love it there and actually find it relaxing. Pardon me for my sarcastically stated satire. I travel 9500 miles, 20 hours to escape the crazy in the US to enjoy all the accoutrements Saigon has to offer.
Don't misunderstand me, I love being nước ngoài in Vietnam.....the Vietnamese people always want to take pictures with me everywhere I go when I'm there....drives my Viet gf crazy. People are great and I eat enough and enjoy the occasional getting sick when I know better to eat something. I have tons of go pro video and my frends and family think I'm nuts but I say nothing gained if nothing ventured and my adventures in Vietnam have always been awesome!
Cheers mate!

Texan71 wrote:
Andy Passenger wrote:
Texan71 wrote:

Bui Vien is for amateurs

Oops, sorry. My mistake.

Now you know

But all kidding aside
I usually stay a bit south away from the city center attractions. I'm sure Bui Vien is a big allure for many first time and second time visitors or anyone wanting to make a party as my Viet gf says, but I actually feel more comfortable away from all that and in the area where seeing a foreigner is a bit unusual. ....but I like that

Hi Eillen, are you here in HCMC now? I'm an expat here, from Shanghai as well.

As far as I experience, the city is developing fast and people I met is nice, though before I got here, safety issues such as robbery scares me a lot.

HCMC is with good weather. Staff in decent/ high-end restaurants  speak good English, google translation is helpful when there is language barrier. But still, be careful when you are out, foreigners can be charged more for purchasing goods (fruits for example) on the street.