Reason for extending a short term social pass?

Hi,
This is probably quite a complicated situation but I'm hoping someone might be able to help. I have been staying in Malaysia on a short term stay pass (UK citizen). It is due to expire soon and I am hoping to get a one month extension. I am looking to get an extension rather than a fresh 3 month pass as I have already done a couple of 'runs' to nearby countries.

I am looking for a one month as I expect to hear back from my MTEP application very soon. I am worried even if I send in my passport upon a successful MTEP application in the coming days, I might be technically overstaying if they process my passport over a period where my pass expires. I have also recently gotten engaged to my Malaysian partner, so we are also thinking of getting married within that one month period so I can apply got a long term pass.

So my question is will I be able to apply for a visa extension from within Malaysia? If so, should my reason be marriage? Or that I'm waiting on my MTEP?

Thoughts are appreciated. Cheers

Additionally, I would be grateful if anyone might be able to advise me whether I am allowed to be in Malaysia when/if I receive MTEP approval? I had a brief conversation with someone from MDEC during the start of my application who indicated I can be present in Malaysia. The visa that MTEP endorses is I believe the PVP. I have read that:

"The immigration authority advised that foreign professionals who are already in Malaysia when their work permit applications are approved, will be required to leave Malaysia, comply with the visa requirements (if visa national) and re-enter Malaysia, before they will be granted the final work permit in order to start work officially in Malaysia"

Does this mean that I can simply re-enter the country should I get my approval (exit using tourist visa, return with all required documents/approvals)? Or could it be I am required to be out of Malaysia until I receive approval?

I am now wondering if it might be wise to simply exit Malaysia until I hear back from MDEC. But I am concerned that if my MTEP application is unsuccessful, I may run into problems if I return and tell immigration that I plan on marrying within the period of another tourist pass, especially if they see I have previously done 'runs'. As such, I am hoping to hear any advise on whether I have good chances on receiving a successful extension as a month extension should be sufficient time to either hear back from MTEP, or register my marriage. I will try to confirm with MDEC on Wednesday when they re-open whether I can be in the country, and if I can, then I will head to Putrajaya for an extension (unless advice here believes I won't be successful in getting the extension).

Again any thoughts appreciated and apologies for all the muddled questions/thoughts, as this is getting a little stressful!

Hi you you have to leave Malaysia to get a work permit. Thats the rule! And if you are working illegally now on a tourist visa you risk getting caught. If not you were ill advised to do visa runs. Better to have taken a holiday while the visa was processed. You should take a break - sit on a beach in Thailand while your visa is processed. And getting married? To a Malaysian?  Why not do that earlier? Easy now I hear to get the LTSVP stamped eith the right to work.

Nemodot wrote:

Hi you you have to leave Malaysia to get a work permit. Thats the rule! And if you are working illegally now on a tourist visa you risk getting caught. If not you were ill advised to do visa runs. Better to have taken a holiday while the visa was processed. You should take a break - sit on a beach in Thailand while your visa is processed. And getting married? To a Malaysian?  Why not do that earlier? Easy now I hear to get the LTSVP stamped eith the right to work.

Thank you for your reply! I am not working at the moment, until I get either MTEP or the appropriate endorsement once married. Is it not possible be present in Malaysia, then leave and re-enter Malaysia once the professional pass has been approved? I'm getting mixed results on whether I can do this or if I need to be outside of Malaysia at the point I hear a "yes" from MDEC. But yes I am considering having a nice Thailand holiday while I wait! Just a bit worried about eyebrows being raised when I return. Yes I am getting married to a Malaysian. We have been talking about it for a while, but we have decided it's probably better sooner rather than later, especially for the event that my MTEP isn't approved. Cheers

MTEP is not a PVP. The rule you quote is during an application for a work permit by an employer.

You just need to go to Immigration in Putrajaya and show your MTEP application and request a 1 month extension pending approval.

I think it seems a bit crazy to get the MTEP and then give it up for a LTSVP as a spouse of a Malaysian.  In any event, you can't apply for the LTSVP for 6 months after the wedding and there is also a further delay until its possible to get the endorsement to take up employment.

So best to stick to the MTEP for at least a year.

If you decide not to apply for the 1 month extension, it would be advisable not to overstay and do another visa run. Don't mess with immigration. remember there is no guarantee your MTEP will be approved.

Gravitas wrote:

MTEP is not a PVP. The rule you quote is during an application for a work permit by an employer.

You just need to go to Immigration in Putrajaya and show your MTEP application and request a 1 month extension pending approval.

I think it seems a bit crazy to get the MTEP and then give it up for a LTSVP as a spouse of a Malaysian.  In any event, you can't apply for the LTSVP for 6 months after the wedding and there is also a further delay until its possible to get the endorsement to take up employment.

So best to stick to the MTEP for at least a year.

If you decide not to apply for the 1 month extension, it would be advisable not to overstay and do another visa run. Don't mess with immigration. remember there is no guarantee your MTEP will be approved.

Thank you for your reply! I just checked the FAQ again for MTEP and it says the visa is a PVP-MTE, so I wonder if this follows the same rules as a normal PVP or is this much different?

It's good to hear that you think I might be able to get an extension. I'll double check tomorrow with MDEC about whether I can be in the country upon approval, then if so I'll do the day trip to Putrajaya and cross my fingers!

And about the LTSVP, yes we are thinking of only finalising that fast it my MTEP is not approved, otherwise we will put off getting it until my MTEP expires.

Thank you for your help!

What would normally happen, if an application was lodged and the rule was to be outside the country, is that the passport copy would show the person was currently in Malaysia. So it would not be actioned, but a request made to submit an exit visa and entry stamp elsewhere. (That's what happens with employer-driven applications to enforce the rule). Check the FAQs to see if any type of Visa with Reference is required to enter for the MTEP-PVP. This usually only affects what are called "visa nationals" i.e. nationalities that require a pre-arrranged social visit (tourist) visa. However, recently I think there have been some changes at the immigration dept. which have not been publicly announced regarding VDRs e.g. an American national claimed they had to obtain a VDR (when normally USA citizens would not be considered visa nationals and have a 90 day visa on arrival).

You may want to follow this FB group - their Notes section is useful https://www.facebook.com/FSSGMY/  They are lobbying for better conditions for foreign spouses.