Best small Towns in USA - Wanting a sense of community

Hi Everyone

Completely new to forums so bare with me on what I write....

I am wanting to gain information and understanding on if moving to the USA where is best to live that has a wonderful smaller town with a great sense of community. I mean do people actually get together at Christmas around the tree in the centre and sing carols like in the UK?

I would love somewhere that would be a great place to raise a family, that has a wonderful school and low crime rate. To own a property with space and land for a garage and a few cars. Near woodland / forest / trekking possibilities but not to far from a trip to the ocean.

Is any of this possible.....or am I living in a dream world?

Any advise would be appreciated

Kind regards
Carina

Just search on Google for "best small towns" in the U.S.  This is a huge country and there are also a huge number of small towns.  You should look at more than just the town. If you have children, you'll want to research the quality of the school system in each town. Compare the state's sales tax rate with other states, the property tax rate, state and local income tax rates, etc. There are so many factors to consider that you should spend time some serious time doing research. You may get four or five opinions here, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the number of small towns in this country.

You should try Oklahoma City......its just as you described  Carina.    Rick

rickh75 wrote:

That is an interesting statement about OKC. What makes you say that?

twostep wrote:
rickh75 wrote:

That is an interesting statement about OKC. What makes you say that?

I would like to know too, especially since I don't (and don't know anyone who does) think of OKC as a small town, what with its size (larger than Houston and certainly much larger than Los Angeles), the AF base, large oil industry, 5 or 6 highways running through the city, and very few or no bike lanes in existence.  In addition, the nearest beach from OKC is 9 hour drive, not the answer to the OP's wish list ("not too far from a trip to the ocean").

Im actually referring to Oklahoma.   I grew up there.  The people in Oklahoma is what makes it incredible.  If you have car trouble & stuck on the side of the road....several peeople will stop to see if you need any assistance.  They are extremly nice.  Only someone who has lived there can truly speak of it.  Oklahoma City is , indeed, not a "small town" however.....there are certain neighborhoods that seem like it is.  Many, many small towns thru out Okla.   I now have been living in Honolulu for over 20 yrs.,   another great place to live ( of corse)  but  the cost of living of these 2 locations are a complete Opposite.   Very easy to make a living in Oklahoma.   Aloha,    Rick

rickh75 wrote:

Im actually referring to Oklahoma.   I grew up there.  The people in Oklahoma is what makes it incredible.  If you have car trouble & stuck on the side of the road....several peeople will stop to see if you need any assistance.  They are extremly nice.  Only someone who has lived there can truly speak of it.  Oklahoma City is , indeed, not a "small town" however.....there are certain neighborhoods that seem like it is.  Many, many small towns thru out Okla.   I now have been living in Honolulu for over 20 yrs.,   another great place to live ( of corse)  but  the cost of living of these 2 locations are a complete Opposite.   Very easy to make a living in Oklahoma.   Aloha,    Rick

OKC has changed. Living well, eating well and living well is on the level of DFW and above Atlanta but well worth it. Been here three years and it was a good move but it is not small town USA Cedar Cove.