Expatriating Venezuelans Get a Break At Twelve-Nation Summit in Quito

Latin American nations have given a boost to Venezuelan refugees seeking to escape the corruption, economic failures and violence in their home country.

Meeting in Quito, Ecuador, for two days this week to address the Ven crisis, the 12 nations in attendance decided to allow Venezuelans to cross international borders even with expired travel documents.

This follows attempts by Ecuador and Peru to block Venezuelan non-passport holders from entering those two countries.  The Ecuadorian government's attempt at blocking wound up in a Quito court and may now be moot.

Venezuela did not send a representative to the summit meeting on Ven refugees .. and officially considers the conference illegitimate.  However, there may not be much Venezuela can do to slow the record exodus of its citizens who have been heading to and through Colombia, Ecuador and points South.

Source for conference results:  www.cuencahighlife.com

According to the United Nations, 2.3 million have left Venezuela since 2014.

Wow! Very interesting news indeed.........So borders back open in South Amer, but still closed here in Central Amer.......Panama being as usual the hardest, the most strict......and the most paranoid.....

Panama also partook in the summit. Costa Rica and Mexico too and oddly enough Dominica Republic.

I was in the D.R. here recently for a looksee.......and there are a ton of Venezulanos there too.....It seems to be an eazy entrance for them there.......Some of the best service I had at hotels were from bi-lingual Venezulanos........Bunch of Venzu chicas there too but I only encountered one who tried to hustle me on the beach road in old city Santo Domingo......She seemed pretty nice actually........Most of em are in Santo Domingo and Im not a big city guy.....I get outta of em pronto posible..........Colombia, Ecuador and Peru continue to be the best options for them.........and maybe for me too........

dumluk wrote:

Wow! Very interesting news indeed.........So borders back open in South Amer, but still closed here in Central Amer.......Panama being as usual the hardest, the most strict......and the most paranoid.....

The BBC reports that Panama and Costa Rica, both Central American nations, are among those Quito conference participants that voted to allow Venezuelan refugees to enter their countries.

The number of countries that participated in Quito varies from 11 to 13 depending on which news report you read.

According to the BBC report, these are ten countries that decided to allow Venezuelan refugees to enter their territories even with expired travel documents....

Argentina

Brazil

Chile

Colombia

Costa Rica

Ecuador

Mexico

Panama

Peru

Uruguay

Source of the list:  the BBC as posted at newsweek.com

Is Cuba helping? …. just curious.