Finding your bearings in Mauritius

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Mauritius? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Mauritius?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

In general Google maps does a pretty good job overall and I rely on it most of the time with success, but you do have to be careful. The most common issue I have is it not being aware of one way systems, so if you follow it blindly you might get directed against the traffic! Another issue I've come across occasionally is when it tries to direct you down roads that don't exist, or 'roads' that aren't really rights of way - for example trying to send you down cane roads! It told me it was possible to take a back road under the mountain below Pieter Both and come out on the other side by Creve Coeur, the 'road' was a footpath down an almost sheer cliff! 😂

Of course using Google maps normally relies on data on your phone, to avoid using up your data allowance or having connection issues, you can use wifi to download the maps permanently onto your phone, this allows you to still use the directions through GPS without using any data (you won't have any traffic data though, so treat time estimates with caution). Thankfully Mauritius is small enough that you can download the maps for the whole country this way.

Mailing addresses are typically not a very accurate way of finding physical premises, one helpful tip when looking for a friend's place or even a business is to get them to WhatsApp their location beacon to you. Accurate to within a few meters, this is much more helpful.

I find an app called WAZE is fairly good and accurate. Also offers closest parking areas etc. It also seems to be more updated as to one ways etc especially when navigating around Port Louis.

I use Google maps GPS which works well through out Mauritius. So far never experienced any problem in finding any place. GPS works fine.