Finding your bearings in Malaysia

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Malaysia? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Malaysia?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Only just starting to use my mobile phone tech in last 12 months or so,(have 16gb plan/monthly)just gotback from Canada/USA trip whereirelied on it constantly.Previous to this in Malaysia on 5/6 Visits have relied on locals Knowledge for guidance/Assistance andhave found everyone generous with their help and advice ,even if the English isn't their first language,one of the reasons i wish to retire in Malaysia

Well, the printed maps were never very helpful, so what I did was look at a landmark in the distance and continue to go towards it, even if walking.

Locals really cannot help much. They say "just go and gooooo and then turn left."   Huh?

Early GPS was rough because the mapping was minimal. But it grew and in spite of various map/GPS problems, its the only way that works to get anywhere.

Then there is normal memory. You travel certain routes and pretty soon you can get almost anywhere because you are remembering.

Locals have trouble too and the cities are not good about keeping up street signs with names on them. As a result, locals dont use street names, they "just know." Thats what they always tell me. "You want to go somewhere? You just have to know."    Yeah. Thank you. So much.

Malsingmaps.com is free and has updated GPS maps Malaysia, Singapore and East Malaysia. Also, you can use
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
for free world GPS maps and choose just the areas you want, like if you are planning a trip to Singapore or Bangkok. They compile the maps and send to you in a few days with installation instructions.

When Im lost because I didnt bring my GPS with me, I use the sun. Rises in the east, sets in the west. What time is it? Ok. I came from the east so I have to head east now. Oh, look at the sun, im going in the wrong direction. Eventually you come to signboards that help you to get home.

Let me add that people also use Google Maps via their phone but its going to eat up a data plan especially if its used a lot. I never have.

I can also add that Malaysians are not unfriendly or unhelpful about directions but the way they present the information is usually incomprehensible to the listener and so I wouldnt ask them unless there was a special reason. If, for example, they want you to try a restaurant they like, they will draw a map for you but again, you cant make any sense of it and they dont know the name or address either.

Also about addresses, many Malaysian dont know their own address, strange as it seems, and unless you know all the landmark locations in a city, they cant be of much help. So what i do in cases like this is ask for what major landmarks they do know and then find that in the GPS and go there, then look around for the exact place I want once in the neighborhood.

My solution is GRAB!

As someone who doesn't drive (and has no sense of direction!), I'm very impressed on the whole with GRAB. 

I don't think it would work for long distances unless the car was full, but for local journeys, it's a great solution

our experience when it comes to malaysia its just unforgetable why because asking people nearby will give you a headache lol yes coz we rather use our maps than asking coz they might lead you in some different areas not all people did this but mostly i guess but people are very friendly guess we just ask the wrong people but above all malaysia was a good place to visit we had so much fun staying there for a month..and i would love to come back there soon...

I have been living in Kuala Lumpur  for over 2 years now. If you are driving in the city it can be very confusing as the road system is quite badly planned. on the highways often multiple exits together and for the uninitiated even using GPS you can go wrong. As far as KL goes even if I  know the route (driving) I often use Waze (GPS) which is the best as the traffic here can vary a lot and it will always show a quicker alternative.  Some people prefer Google maps. yes they both use a lot of data but most people are on high GB plans over here.
Nobody here use the road numbers unlike the UK where I am from. That would make things a little easier and logical. Even when they have them the locals never use them. My wife has driven here for 30 years and wouldn't be able to tell you any. Also as she always tells me never follow the road signs. A previous poster mentioned the locals don't use directions they just know, that is very true. just try asking for directions. Very friendly and try  but I cannot follow.
It is easier outside KL to navigate and the standard of driving though not great isn't as bad as some other countries in the area.
Also for those without a car Grab car is fantastic and cheap.

Hi,
I have been in Malaysia since Oct 2016 and I never found any difficulty to find my destination while travelling around.
Normally, I use google map for navigation but "Waze" mobile app is more accurate and helpful for navigation. However you may ask local person for help but I would prefer to use "Waze" which is best and user friendly app.
In case, you get lost, I suggest you to take Taxi and go back to your origin. You may use "Grab" mobile app to book taxi which is cheaper and convenient.

Thanks
Santokh Singh

we are living in a digital era so dont need to ask anyone.i mostly use GPS, google map for everyreason :):)

Agree
I too get lost

Waze. Idk if this is a common app used in other countries but it certainly is one of the most common one here. It's very accurate.

Worse come to worse, book a Grab ride. Do NOT use taxi. There's a whole reason why Grab took over almost the whole industry locally.

I've lived here for years and trust me, we don't know a large majority of street names. Instead rely on landmarks which you would just know after some time. There's no logical way to guide you with directions. We would always say to each other, you know the road that goes to here and there... , take that and then you know the place here... , turn there, then there will be this thing there... , turn there and so on. If you don't know, you're screwed. So you just gotta know.

So use Waze, or take Grab. The LRT, KTM, Monorails are easy to follow and so are the buses. You may check your routes at RapidKL's website if you're using public transportation.