Finding your bearings in Italy

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Italy? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Italy?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Other than local shopping I use TomTom to navigate in the car. If on foot and need directions I use Google Maps on my Apple iPhone. If I am going to a place I have not visited before I explore using Google Maps on my Apple iMac.

It is very easy to get misdirected in Italy as road signs can be vague, non-existent or plain confusing as there will be a huge row of multicoloured layers as you enter a town, brown to indicate places of interest, white businesses, yellow resources and blue towns, major roads. Often we have gone through a town following signs only for the place we are looking for to vanish! When we have turned around and reapproached the town we discover the town is then displayed.
We recommend making a note of several towns on the way to the place you are heading for and those beyond so if your town disappears from the signage another on the route might be displayed. A good ordinance survey map is very useful as it will show many of the major roads and markings, as roads in Italy often have 3 identities eg. Strada del Sole = A1 = E35is the major Milan to Naples motorway.
We have frequently asked directions of Bar owners, tourist offices, police stations, garages, passerbys ( yes we get diverted quite often) and all have been unfailingly helpful even asking us to follow while they lead us to the correct road at times.
We have a Garmin and have used an App on a friends iPhone, both can lead you astray as there are frequently duplicated or triplicated place names even within the same province, so be very certain of the place you enter, e.g. there is a Ponticelli near Citta della Pieve Perugia and close to Naples a very long detour of over 200km  if you get the wrong one!  White roads (gravel) usually go to farms, agritourismo, small borgo, ruins or fields unless you know where it is going to lead you don't attempt one as reversing down a dirt track with deep ruts for over 2 or 3 km is not funny.
On the other hand they can lead you straight to the door of your destination, it depends on how updated your device is and the accuracy of the address, a barristsa programmed the phone, handed it back and said follow the blue arrow, without it we would never have found the hotel as it took us up a road we would have thought was pedestrianised and behind a double-parked lorry so we couldn't see the turning, so well worth asking for help, freely given with a smile.
The trick of navigating the countryside is to take your time, if you get diverted enjoy the scenery and panic not, all roads lead somewhere.

Hi Prisci,
It's been great experience,I always have a company of my brother or his children, some people are very good when you ask them for a direction, but some of them too won't even stop to listen to you.
In all it been great being here.

Thanks,

Eben

My husband and I have had some of our best fights navigating our way around Italy.  But it really isn't all that hard, at least not so far.  We have spent most of our time in Rome and north.  Le Marche was quite challenging- our GPS liked to send us on roads that you need a tractor to drive on.  But other than that we have found Google maps and our TomTom pretty reliable

Hi Priscilla,

Google maps is the best way to navigate in Italy, as it's free and up to date. If you drive most cars have their own GPS system or you may buy a Tom Tom but remember to update it often or you may find something changed.

Following road signs is fine if you are looking to go to a big city (e.g. travelling on the highway towards Milan, Rome, Naples etc.)

Asking for direction will work but you should consider:
- In large cities such as Milan or Rome you'll meet few locals in downtown areas, most of people, even if Italian is probably not familiar with the city
- Elders tend not to speak English, you should be luckier with younger people (eventually look for people in their 20s / 30s)

Anyway most people is nice and will try to help even if they don't speak the language (gesticulating is very common for Italians). This is especially true in small towns and in the south, in big cities you have a 50% chance to meet someone who will stop by and help or someone who just ignores you.

Hope this helps