Live TV Streaming in Dominican Republic

Hello Everyone,

Is anyone using any of the major TV Streaming platforms available in the United States but in Dominican Republic and can confirm they work flawlessly. For example Playstation Vue, Sling TV, Youtube TV, or Directv Now.

I live stream sling tv. I also use Hulu, prime, and Netflix.
For sling and hulu you will need a VPN. I use express VPN.

I use both Netflix and YouTube. Sometimes that is live streaming. There appears to be no issue.

maltagracia, I asked about DirecTV Now on the 'official' ATT/DirecTv Now forum back in July and got this response...

I've also tried using a VPN when travelling outside the US, and that didn't work either on DTVN or on Netflix. However, Slingbox works fine on everything, as you would expect ,assuming your wifi (both up from your home and down to your destination) is fast enough. Might be worth buying one since you're going to be gone that long. A 500 runs about $150 on ebay. Whatever you run the DTVN app on needs to be IR controllable to work with Slingbox. So Fire stick, Roku stick and Chromecast won't work. But ATV, any Roku box or a Fire TV box plus IR dongle would work. IR capable Android TV box should also work if you know how to side load, which is what I use 90% of the time.

My husband says they will work, but you have to have a local account rather than using your account from the states. True, false? Taking about Netflix, Sling and Prime.

Thanks!

All of my accounts from the United states work fine.  Netflix will work without a VPN.  I use Express VPN for sling, prime, and Hulu. The VPN makes them think I'm in Miami.

We visited DR late Jul/early Aug 2018.  At least through our Hotel's Wi-Fi, our US-based streaming accounts (primarily Netflix) worked perfectly.  No difference.

I can't say about household accounts in DR, as I have experience with them yet.

Thanks for the response folks. Very helpful. I have a trip planned soon and will try again With your suggestions. Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update on this topic. I was in Santo Domingo last week and thought I'd give the recommended options a try and it did work indeed.

I did a trial with a VPN company and was able to access my US TV Streaming subscription without any issues. Currently in the US I use PlayStation Vue for my TV subscription. My guess is that all the others like Sling, YouTube TV and DirecTV would work just as well. Just thought I'd let everyone know that answered my initial question. Thanks!

maltagracia wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update on this topic. I was in Santo Domingo last week and thought I'd give the recommended options a try and it did work indeed.

I did a trial with a VPN company and was able to access my US TV Streaming subscription without any issues. Currently in the US I use PlayStation Vue for my TV subscription. My guess is that all the others like Sling, YouTube TV and DirecTV would work just as well. Just thought I'd let everyone know that answered my initial question. Thanks!

hi maltagracia
let know VPN name and ifs free or with monthly fees?
cheers
bernard

The VPN company I tried out is called Open VPN. You can find them online at OpenVPN.net

I'm not certain on the cost because I did the 3 days trial. I think they are less than $10 per month.

When I tried it I did it off my phone by downloading their iPhone app. I see that they also have Android, macOS & Windows as other platforms where this should work as well.

Good luck if you try it out as well.

Boy, am I out of this high tech stuff. I still use my cell to make & receive calls & to take some photos.  If I want TV, I turn it on.  I know that there are many other ways to use the net.. I research anything that makes me curious. The TV screen is much bigger than my laptop. I almost envy those who re enthralled with all that new tech can provide.  I still prefer face to face contact, even if they have halitosis.  I can always back up a step or two as required.   Someone wants to put me on you tube.  It just might be my chance to jump into this new age of whatever it is.  I'm told that I could even swear,(in moderation).  Shit, I just may do it.

the tinker40 wrote:

Boy, am I out of this high tech stuff. I still use my cell to make & receive calls & to take some photos.  If I want TV, I turn it on.  I know that there are many other ways to use the net.. I research anything that makes me curious. The TV screen is much bigger than my laptop. I almost envy those who re enthralled with all that new tech can provide.  I still prefer face to face contact, even if they have halitosis.  I can always back up a step or two as required.   Someone wants to put me on you tube.  It just might be my chance to jump into this new age of whatever it is.  I'm told that I could even swear,(in moderation).  Shit, I just may do it.

This post made me laugh so hard man!

And, I just saw you on youtube  :D

- Greg

Until recently I was in London and used Azire VPN (Miami servers) to stream sling and it worked just fine. I plan to do the same in the DR.

@Ckilpat01,Maltagracia

thks for the infos, but like The Thinker ,I am not so familiar with these things.

I will be able to upload a VPN , but where I have to upload,?
(I have Amazone stick )
On my tablet ( sharing the display with the TV?), on my computer ????

ExpressVPN is an app on your Firestick. First sign up for the service at ExpressVPN on your computer. Then use your Firestick on the Tv - just use the voice command and say Express VPN. Sign into ExpressVPN from the App and pick a US location and connect. We use Washington DC. Always make sure to connect  to Express VPN before connecting to Hulu, Netflix,  etc.

Way over my head guys, way over. I thought a fire stic was what the indians called guns.  I saw me too. I looked like I had Parkinsons disease. Kept trying to get the woman's light out of my eyes.  Gustavo is an excellent teacher.  She wants to make a video about my experiences living in the DR.  No way now that I know what that light can do to my eyes. There are better cameras to use, cell phones are fairly limited lighting wise.  I laugh at myself too.

I just bought a firestick and have copied and pasted your instructions John,  might need help when I get things installed!!!!

No problem, easy as pie.

Thanks honey.

I've been around kitchens fo over 70 years,  & haver never found an easy, perfect way to make a good, flakey, tender pie crust yet, ends up being a great pizza crust. "Easy as pie" unfortunately has never been a part of my culinary lexicon.  To my dismay, I'm forced to addit to my lack of knowledge with that mystery of the internet. On another front, .......Welcome to Chantelle & Andy who arrived yesterday with 2 dogs & the mounds of  belongings.  They have made to move to their new life in the DR.  A permanent home is under construction.  A valud addition to the Sosua/Cabarete  area.    Smart, witty & fun, good folks   They too helped My  helper, Nielsa.    Lucky me, they too, like John & Maria, know their way around a key board.  Again, a big welcome.

Tinker - just saw you on youtube again  :D

So Tinker, you raised the subject, what happened with helping your helper? Where does that stand?  Does she have what she needs?

To our dismay we fell far short of the needed funds. I borrowed the rest & she now is waiting for the documents to arrive in the Haitian Consulate. Fortunately she doesn't hand over the cash until the papers are in hand.  Unlike the DR requiring money up front.  A sincere heartfelt thank you to those who contributed to the fund.    I just found out that it costs her almost 1/2 her daily pay to commute back & forth. I was shocked,  she Never said a word about it. An amazing young woman in many ways. I'm a very lucky person.

I'm thinking Hulu is on to us as I just tried to access using expressvpn and received another error message letting me know that I 'appear to be using an anonymous proxy tool'.... Busted!

**UPDATE**
Contacted expressvpn and chatted with their online customer service heard that showed me how to change the location and then it worked.

maltagracia wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Is anyone using any of the major TV Streaming platforms available in the United States but in Dominican Republic and can confirm they work flawlessly. For example Playstation Vue, Sling TV, Youtube TV, or Directv Now.

Use a VPN that may be recommended here [link moderated]. I have been using US account abroad for a long time.

Please stop posting links.   When you are new they will be blocked until reviewed

Ok. sorry