Is it dangerous to travel to egypt ( cairo ) this time?

I know everything is calmer and all that, but after all there is no polices outside and not so many tourists i guess?

Does anyone know if cairo is full of tourists now?

I am from europe ( white ) kind of afraid someone will just rape me.. Thats what i heard but i dont think so but i wanna know pliz tell me im afraid but i really wanna go

Hi, I think you're worrying way too much. No city is safe, and I can't say Cairo is as settled as it was before the revolution, but I've had no trouble here over the last few months and had lots of friends visiting recently who also felt safe.
You have to be streetwise, respect local customs (especially dress codes for women) and try to stay in a group or with some locals if possible, but I'd advise the same in many other cities too. It's a great chance to see all the tourist sites now they're not so busy. Hope that helps!
Elaine

Cairo is safe, sharm el sheikh is also super safe as usual.
I've seen lately many tourists downtown cairo, specially british and italian nationalites. In sharm el sheikh I saw british, french, russian, italian, swedesh, german. I was there last week and it was perfect.

Cairo is much more safer, specialy downtown which accomidate most of the tourisitic places. I recommend u to stay in any hotel downtown its 100% safe. And don't worry about the rape thing if some tried to touch u million young guy will arrest him,  yet police is fewer is the streets but people are the police. Again and again don't worry just come :)

SAFE SAFE SAFE

No city is 100% safe, but you have to adapt to the new culture and and making a lot of respectful friends, by that you will be safe.
Hope to see you soon in Egypt.
Islam

lol @ "I am from europe ( white )" what does that suppose to mean !

As people said no city is safe 100% not in egypt not even in the most safe countrie in all the world but actually everything is really much calm so while you go with group of people, someone local, don't be inrespectful with what you wear and so you don't need to be afraid of nothing..Actually I live alone and there is no problem tbh but ofc when I go out I try to with my friends, I just go alone when I need to go buy food and anyway cuz i have it near my home xD Anyway really don't worry :) Anyway something I wanted to say, what you mean with white? xD Actually I know what you mean but not only white people get raped hah? :S

I have just came back from Cairo and is awesome ,,You are not safe anywhere you have to watch out fo yourself anywhere,,

I have lived here for almost eighteen years now and I'm pretty white and that has not been a problem ever.

I have never felt safer then i do now within Egypt.

Pack your bags, buy the ticket and come on over. have some sweet tea, howishe and some spicy pickles. I would not be worried about coming here its probably safer then where you now live.

Think everyone above mentioned already everything. You'll be fine here and definitely you'll enjoy it. As long as you are not doing trips or things that are 'extraordinary' different from what normal foreigners and tourists do here you'll love it.

I think the media is definitely feeding us mixed messages about the state of the Country right now. As far as most people I know are concerned, Egypt is now an 'unstable' country. We're being told by News stations and governments to avoid traveling to Egypt if you are Caucasian. They made it sound like if your white, and you go outside, a radical anti-white gang is going to come after you. Soooo...
It's understandable if there is confusion as to the actual political state of the country. Media is doing a great job trying to scare the pants off everyone here in East Canada :/

"Egypt is now an 'unstable' country."
This is one hundred percent false,Egypt has been un-stable since i first came during late 1993.whats really changed is media has been giving a free voice related to reporting today's issues which never place things into a organized historical perspective.

@Shorouk: I agree with your points, which are more then valid. My comment refered to those who may not be aware of international politics and only go by what is shown on the telly (generally not a good idea lol).

I have to admit, after the coverage I watched I had to wonder whether or not I would be safe moving to the country- but after talking to other expats and locals, my faith has been restored.

Stay alert and aware of your surrounding (just like anywhere in the world) and educate yourself about the local area and culture.

Certainly not 100% safe!!!! 
If you NEVER walk around 'local' areas alone, NEVER go out at night, NEVER use unknown taxi drivers and NEVER buy anything in a shop where you don't personally know the owner, you will be OK.
You will absolutely and definitely be sexually harassed on a daily basis.  Anyone who tells you otherwise will spend eternity in purgatory for their lies!!!! Yes, a bit strong, but also a bit true..Really come on lets tell it like it is.  You must be prepared to accept this if you intend to come here. 
Step into *'Real Egypt' alone and you most likely will be sexually assaulted.  FACT!
*Real Egypt could be that road at the end of the nice road, where everyone is clean and smiling.
I have lived in Egypt for a year now and been sexually assaulted 3 times in Maadi.  Twice when teenagers grabbed my bottom and once where a guy with a baby on a bike grabbed my breast, tore my shirt and scratched me. 
There were masses of perverts before, during and after the revolution.  I love being here, but these people spoil it for everyone.   Oh yeah and before the victim blaming commences, I usually wear long sleeved kurtas and baggy pants.  I look like a tw** but I do make the effort not to offend. 
My Egyptian friends never leave Maadi and follow the above advice.  My Egyptian friends hate the perves too!
On the bright side if you know how to scream ‘HARAMI', run after the guy and keep going until he is caught, he meets with justice when the community steps in to help.  This has happened each time I have had trouble and this is the only reason I can cope with being in Egypt

Shorouk wrote:

I have lived here for almost eighteen years now and I'm pretty white and that has not been a problem ever.

Men (especially white)can go anywhere in the world and have a great time. Just an observation. 

I know of several non white people who have suffered more than me. 

I have never felt safer then i do now within Egypt.

Men can go...

Pack your bags, buy the ticket and come on over. have some sweet tea, howishe and some spicy pickles.

Don't bother and avoid Koshari at all costs. There's a nice Japanese restaurant on Rd9.

I would not be worried about coming here its probably safer then where you now live.

This is probably true, but don't be fooled by false confidence. Think carefully about which streets you walk down during the day and night.  Never, ever walk alone if there are no other people around.  Locals will step in when it happens, but just avoid quiet streets in all districts, even if they look clean and safe.  Don't carry large amounts of cash and don't flash electronics anywhere.  Basically, pretend you are in Salford and you'll be fine.

Sorry to hear about your experiences Burnside :(
I agree it honestly does depend where in Cairo you are as to how safe you're likely to be, and there's always a risk, but I've been here for 9 months and the only incident I  had was in Islamic Cairo where someone grabbed my bottom. I wasn't inappropriately dressed, I was with a group of friends, and the guy was a stupid teenager. It happens and it's horrible, but on the whole I've felt pretty safe. I walk around alone but only in public, busy places that are more used to expats. The harassment wouldn't put me off living here for a few years anyway, but i think it might get me down if I stayed forever :-/

[Moderated]those stupid teenagers i`m so sorry about that those guys aren`t really egyptians they are stupid and foolish they want to destroy our tourism i`m an egyptian and with the tongue of all egyptian WE ARE SO SORRY FOR YOU MRS eltviola.

message for all tourists you welcome in egypt in anytime (The most safe place in egypt is in maadi because there is the israelian embassy and other embassy there and there is a lot of foreign lives there so it totally safety and also el rehab it`s a new city so it`s still not populated

firstly, @ etivioa :We r sorry for this bad incident u had faced

2ndly, @ Mostafa samy :We have a lot of places are really quite safe and let me say all Egypt is really safe except some of very poor dirty places which we dont recommend for expats.

in general, public places are the more safe places and often surround ur self with ur friends.

Wish U All Nice Safe Staying In Egypt (OM el Donia)

If you mean being dangerous from the civil and political unrest. Sometime It gets dangerous but from the raping point of view, It is not the dangerous, But I would like to quote ‘eltviola' no city is safe. So Cairo is normal city but you have to be street wise. I'm Egyptian guy; I tend to be street wise when I am with a female friend. It is the Middle East. As soon as you get to Cairo you will feel safe. Despite the fact of the challenging traffic and pollution. Egyptians are friendly in general.

mero928 wrote:

firstly, @ etivioa :We r sorry for this bad incident u had faced

2ndly, @ Mostafa samy :We have a lot of places are really quite safe and let me say all Egypt is really safe except some of very poor dirty places which we dont recommend for expats.

in general, public places are the more safe places and often surround ur self with ur friends.

Wish U All Nice Safe Staying In Egypt (OM el Donia)

well said bro  :top: , plus we all are sorry for bad harassments happening nowadays to normal people even it can happen to girls wearing scarfs and normal clothes!

yeah guys you are all right ramadan kareeem to all

ramadan kareem

eltviola wrote:

Hi, I think you're worrying way too much. No city is safe, and I can't say Cairo is as settled as it was before the revolution, but I've had no trouble here over the last few months and had lots of friends visiting recently who also felt safe.
You have to be streetwise, respect local customs (especially dress codes for women) and try to stay in a group or with some locals if possible, but I'd advise the same in many other cities too. It's a great chance to see all the tourist sites now they're not so busy. Hope that helps!
Elaine

That's right. I agree with you completely.
I's love to travel to Egypt!!

:top:

asalhikayati wrote:

I know everything is calmer and all that, but after all there is no polices outside and not so many tourists i guess?

Does anyone know if cairo is full of tourists now?

I am from europe ( white ) kind of afraid someone will just rape me.. Thats what i heard but i dont think so but i wanna know pliz tell me im afraid but i really wanna go

:)

I am smiling (no offence) ..... Cairo is not as full of tourists as before. Anyways, police has redeployed, Cairo is as safe as it was. My wife is Ukrainian and is white too and no one just "raped" her. Don't believe everything you hear because it is not always true.

Yes being white/European female attracts attention, but this is merely what it is. Don't be afraid :)

Enjoy your trip.