Work Permit necessary for Temporary Residence Permit ?

If someone already has a source of income out-of-country, then do they have to obtain a work permit in Ukraine in order to get a TRP ?  It doesnt make sense that a foreigner with a business out of country would have to find work in Ukraine, if they already have a source of income.   If I rent property here in the USA , does that count toward a source of employment in order to gain temporary residency ?  A work permit is always filled out by other employers, and not the individual/foreigner himself. So, in the case of being self employed, I am not allowed to fill out a work permit for myself.  Do I still need one at all if I have my own source of income from outside the country . ( I am a USA citizen ) .

Hi Rox. There is a list of causes in which it is possible to get Temporary Residence Permit. Unfortunatelly it doesn't include self-employed people and the people who has other source of income.
May by you should ask at ukrainian law companies and they could find the way to get such Residence Permit.

In order to obtain a Residency Permit based on Employment, you need to be employed by a company in Ukraine. A foreigner who has no residency in Ukraine cannot be a director of a company.

I was faced with this scenario this year. The steps that I went through to achieve the ability to live and work in Ukraine were:

1. Setup a company in my wife's name
2. Register myself as an employee of that company
3. Obtain Work Permit
4. Obtain Visa
5. Obtain Residency Permit

I have just completed this process. Be aware, Ukraine has a lot of processes and procedures to follow - very carefully. If one small detail is wrong, they will reject your application. Also, nothing is available in English, so you will need someone to help you if you don't know Ukrainian.

I had Ukrainian friends and my wife to help me, yet it still took 9 months to complete the whole process.

I'm grateful for the reply and advice .

Thank you for sharing these

I am not sure if this is an appropriate site for this question.  My step son (Ukraine wife's son) lives in Ukraine with a Kazak citizen.  She received the Ukraine immigration visa from Kazakstan more than a year ago.  She received an Ukraine green card and has been waiting for 2 years before she can receive Ukraine citizenship.  Recently, she was notified that immigration rule is changed.  She needs to leave Ukraine, receive a new immigration visa from outside Ukraine, reenter and start the process again.  This is insane.  Has anyone run into this kind of problem?  Is there a way to resolve this in Ukraine without leaving Ukraine and reenter with a new immigration visa?  Thanks

hi there
in order to get TRV. YOU NEED TO GET A VISA D and you need to meet one of the categories, as part of the visa D.
If you get your visa D, then you carry on to get your TRV which was part of your visa D.
IE Marriage
To work
Your part of a charity
Your part of a religious sect with an office and invite in the Ukraine.
If you have your own business that does not give the right to remain in Ukraine. If you are going to Employ Ukraine citizens as part of your new business this will go a long way to staying ,but you are not permitted to be the director, only the owner,

martin from Odessa