Ancestry Visa Questions

Hi. Have any of you come to live on an ancestry visa?  How hard is it.  Um worried about proving the amount of money saved.  I will be saving but don't know how much.  I also don't know if they would take something in writing from my parents with proof that they would support me if I don't.  Does anyone have experience with this?  It's so hard to find answers anywhere regarding this.

Hi Natewalm.

I moved to Scotland on a UK Ancestry Visa in 2016.

The amount of money you need depends on if you're an individual or with a family. I'd say sufficient funds are about £3,000 to £5,000 (per person). Keep this in a separate bank account in your name, without making any withdrawals for at least 3 months.  This was what our migration agent advised and we were successful.  If your parents transfer the money that is okay, you just need to show that it is in your account and you have control and you have had it for at least 3 months and keep it until after the visa decision.

You also have to have money for your airfare and initial living costs. Say £5,000 - £10,000 for the first 3 months per person.

The visa conditions state you will not access public funds. So if you run out of money, you can't rely on the government's assistance, or organisations that are government funded. You need to ask friends and family to loan you money until you can get back on your feet. So it is best to have the money before you arrive so you can relax and enjoy your studies/work/exploring.