How Often Do You Go "Home"?

I moved to Bulgaria eight years ago, more or less by "accident." (I was a peace corps volunteer, assigned to Bulgaria, then I met my husband and it was much easier for me to stay here than to try and get him to the U.S.).

While I enjoy my life here, and I think it was the right decision to stay, I do miss the U.S. at times. The problem is that we are not particularly well-off and flights to the U.S. are expensive. So in the beginning I thought we would save up so we could go back for a longer period of time. (plus it was hard to get him a tourist visa). Then we had kids, so each year it just seems to get more and more expensive.

Which adds up to it being 8 years and I've not gone back to the US. Now I think when I go home I am going to freak out/be too emotional to enjoy it. So now I wonder how often I should aim to go back so I will be able to relax and not feel like it's the last time I'll ever see it or something.

I get, this is very personal and depends on a lot of factors so no one can answer but me. But I am curious how often other people try to go back to their home country, especially those from further away.

Simple answer, I don't if I can help it. I don't miss the UK one bit. Each time I visit I can't wait to leave. In 10 years I must have visited 5 times. A few of them were in the same year as my mother was losing her fight against Cancer.

I am home! Bulgaria is home for the past 12 years the UK is somewhere that I used to be. I think those of us in our late 50's and 60's had the best of what the UK used to be and it has gone to pot now. I go there under protest and stay as short a time as possible maybe five or six times in the past few years.

I used to go back to Australia every two years, right on New Year since tickets were ridiculously cheap. Still had a lot of friends who hadnt started families and we could hang out and have a good time. After everyone got married and had kids they dont have time for much else, working full time and overtime.
Havent been back for a while now, real estate has continued rising so its now completely out of reach for us, living standard is also too high to really enjoy a holiday on Bulgarian earnings, dont see much point in going back.

I cant go home. Bulgaria has been my home for nearly seven years. I have been back to the UK a few times but I have now had enough, I will now NEVER return to the UK.

Never. And never will.
From Russia it's not emigration, it's almost evacuation.
It's a criminal and dangerous country now and it will never become better.
No one in their right mind would ever return to that "home".

And Bulgaria is so nice, it is full of normal, smiling people! Drivers are polite to each other (compared with Russia), people are ready to help each other any time.

We've been here for two years and every morning I feel happy that I'm here. Though I cannot say that I like everything in Bulgaria. I can't stand kiselo mljako and sirene :)

Fortunately, nobody makes me eat them :):)