Parks/running - generally being out and about in Nairobi

Hi there,

I'm moving to Nairobi later this year and would welcome any advice/comments on crime and security.

I have heard a lot about crime in the city but I am wondering how much of it is just scaremongering. Are parks in the city really 'no-go' areas or is this just at night? I enjoy running - is it feasible that I could go jogging around my neighbourhood in the daytime perfectly safely (not sure exactly which neighbourhood I will live in so perhaps this is not helpful).

Also, I will have a small baby with me. Is it the case that our activities will be limited to driving to places like shopping centres?

Any personal experiences would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Hello runner,

I personally avoid the city parks, but outside the city centre, such as the arboretum, is usually fine.

Neighbourhoods are very variable. Places such as Westlands, Kilimani and the like are OK for a run, again at daytime.

Nairobi does not have that much in the way of playgrounds for toddlers, and I have not yet found a place to feed the ducks.

Crime is a reality in all big cities, but Kenyans are in general very friendly. Behave with common sense, and enjoy.

Likewise, I wouldn't recommend running in City Parks alone at any time. 

Road running is also risky, because there is a frequent lack of pavements and an associated high risk of being run over.  In Nairobi generally there are a lot more people walking on the sides of the roads than there are in the UK, forcing you to dodge, run into the road, or stop!

If you do run, for goodness sake dont go, plugged into your mp3.  You need to be aware of what is happening around you. 

When we lived in Lavington, the running track at Jaffreys Academy was open to the public in the early evenings - we use to walk from our house (just under a mile), then exercise on the track, This was 4 -5 years ago, so not sure about this now.

Nairobi is fine, and the people are very welcoming.  As with any large city, as long as you take precautions and don't stray into dodgy areas, you will be OK.

Oh and another thing, bringing up a child in Kenya, is an enriching experience for him/her.  It is a fantastic place to grow up.  Better than the UK by far.  Kenya retains those family values and basic respect for others, that has been lost in the UK.

As for activities, it really depends what you like and whether you want to mix with expats, or Kenyans.

Hi

I think it really depends on where you live as to whether there'll be places to run. In terms of safety, I think during the day you're fine anywhere as long as you are sensible.
I haven't found Nairobi as 'unsafe' as it was made out to be... You jet need to adjust your way of life slightly. You can't walk around at night like you might in the uk... Make sure you lock your car doors whilst driving to avoid belongings being taken out of your car whilst sitting in traffic etc. You'll just find that your lifestyle is slightly different here... But equally as good!

I wondered about having children here when we moved.... But basically there are lots of things to do- you just need to find out about them. Like lots of things here- restaurants fir example- its really by word of mouth that you find out about them. Shopping centres are a main meeting place but once you meet other mums you'll find about lots of other things. Again... It's just different to the uk 
One piece of advice would be to bring as much stuff with you! Shopping here- especially for babies can be testing and very expensive!

Thanks everyone for the really useful tips - I really appreciate your advice and suggestions. :)