Work Permit Applications

This makes interesting reading and represents an extension of the governments ongoing crackdown on foreigners who may be in Kenya illegally.

https://citizentv.co.ke/news/kenyan-gov … ry-210518/

Thank you very much for sharing, some serious crack down going on!

Personally, I think it is a good thing. Unfortunately, the reality is that as many Kenyans know for every new rule its another opportunity for the corrupt officials to ask for money.

There are many foreigners illegally in Kenya. So its only fair they respect the rules. After all, we are expected to do the same when we travel to other countries. :o

Does it mean that after expiry of my work permit, I have to go back till it is renewed?

I was thinking the same thing, but I think it's targeting new permits altogether rather than renewals, always good to double check though if you can.

As I understand it, the government have suspended foreign work permit applications, temporarily.  Unsure whether this includes renewals, but I think that you can be confident that applications for renewals will be very close scrutinised, as companies are supposed to train up a Kenyan to do the job within the 2 year cycle of the work permit.  Its a developing situation though.

Another article here:

https://citizentv.co.ke/news/6-egyptian … es-210560/

As a Doctor you are safe. Especially since there is a shortage of people in your profession in Kenya. In fact, Kenya recently signed an agreement with Cuba for approx. 200 doctors on loan.

You are probably safe if your work permit is legitimate and you are doing a job for which there is a skills shortage.  It is about being aware that all holders of foreign work permits will be heavily scrutinised, so some can expect to have theirs cancelled, others not renewed.  Certainly that is the talk at the moment.

There is an element to which the government believe that foreigners have taken advantage of the system, with bribery, fake documents, illegally obtained work permits and so on, in an attempt to live in Kenya.

I understand that foreigners married to Kenyans (and living in Kenya) will also be scrutinised and may be required to go through some registration process, which will also apply to me.