What to tell immigration

Hello everyone

I recently got my TEFL cert and started applying for jobs in KL. I was sure it would take several months to get a job if at all. So I booked a 3 week holiday to kl to visit friends for Eid celebration. 1 week after booking I was informed that EMS Language Center in KL was impressed with my resume and wanted to do a skype interview. I successfully got the job. I was so surprised as I wasnt expecting to be employed so fast.

I told them I was already coming to kl to visit friends on a social pass (from Australia). They said as long as i am coming I can fill the forms out in person and they can process my Employment Pass while im visiting my friends

Then when the process is approved I can leave KL for a week (to neighboring country) and reenter with my Employment Pass after getting my passport stamped  at the Australian Embassy in whatever country im in

I called the Consulate and they said I can have my social visit converted to an Employment pass without having to leave KL. Is this true of Australian citizens?

What on earth do i tell immigration if they ask why im visiting kl? do i say social visit? i have a ticket booked for Singapore already as i planned to visit there after my 3 weeks in KL

Thanks guys

The rule is you have to be outside Malaysia while the Employment Pass application is processed.

Immigration will look for an out stamp in your passport before accepting the application.

Unofficially you can re-enter after getting the out stamp but usually you should only enter when you have approval and a copy of the Visa Approval Letter.

Within 30 days of entering the EP is endorsed in the passport.

ok great. thank you

What on earth do i tell immigration if they ask why im visiting kl? do i say social visit? i have a ticket booked for Singapore already as i planned to visit there after my 3 weeks in KL

The truth
You're doing nothing wrong and you won't be working illegally on that visa.
Say nothing on entry if they don't ask, but the truth if they do, making sure you show them the onward ticket to prove you intend to leave.

If things move quickly, you can pop into Singapore to pick up the new visa any time and start work legally.

Immigration officers are semi psychic so they'll spot a lie from 20 feet away.

ok awesome thanks very much. appreciated