Can dual citizen who lost passport get visa?

I'm a US/Vietnam citizen. If I lost the vietnam's passport, can I apply for vietnam visa with my US passport and enter the country? I'm curious if that's possible.

Since you said "If I lost" it's fair to ask if this is an actual problem or just hypothetical?  An important aspect of what to do would be based on whether you are in Vietnam or the US at the time.

Hypothetical, and base in the US. I guess I could reapply for the passport, but would getting the tourist visa with the US passport be possible?

No offense meant, but this sounds a bit like questions that used to get asked around the barracks, when someone was offering to buy military ID cards.

IF you are thinking of "losing" your Vietnamese passport to a friend or family member, so they can use it to travel to Vietnam, OR, if you are being pressured by someone to sell or give your passport to them, please don't take that risk.

However, for the sake of argument, if you did lose your Vietnamese passport, why not just apply for a new one in the United States, at the embassy or a consulate?

I know all countries do things differently, but I had my original passport issued to me in Munich, Germany at the U.S. embassy or consulate, I can't remember which.

Hopefully, if you can prove your identity (BIRTH CERTIFICATE, ETC) you could do the same thing in the United States with your Vietnamese passport.

Be safe!

No, this is not "losing" Vietnamese passport to a friend or family. I genuinely want to know if it's possible.

nace186 wrote:

Hypothetical, and base in the US. I guess I could reapply for the passport, but would getting the tourist visa with the US passport be possible?

I don't see why not but you would be subject to restrictions on length of stay that you would not have if you enter with a Vietnamese passport.

nace186 wrote:

No, this is not "losing" Vietnamese passport to a friend or family. I genuinely want to know if it's possible.

Apparently no Viet Kieu reading here have found themselves in your hypothetical position such that they could answer based on first hand experience.  However, it is fairly uniform across nations that you can obtain a replacement passport at the appropriate embassy.  I don't see any reason why Vietnam should be any different.

Of course, it is possible. If you hold a passport from a country, and you can hold more than one in many countries, it simply signifies which country you are a citizen of. To enter another country as a guest you must get a visa. There are many who are dual citizens. For the countries for which they hold citizenship they would require no visa. In your case if you hold citizenship in Vietnam and the USA those are two countries you would not have to get a visa. But if you lost your passport for one of the countries you would then have to enter as a guest thus needing a visa.

Why is it I'm hearing a feedback loop in my mind?  :huh:

It's not as if the two countries (any two countries) have an interest in both halves of a dual citizenship.

Not to the point of being as accommodating as the OP might imagine.

I mean (OP) would you hypothetically be attempting to hide your Vietnamese citizenship from Vietnam in order to make use of the visitor Visa system established BY Vietnam?

I just can't imagine Vietnamese Immigration knowingly allowing your entry based on your U.S. citizenship.

Aside from the legality question, it seems it would be somewhat offensive to any Vietnamese Immigration official.

Kind of like taking a date to the country club dance, but you forgot your membership card, so you ask your ex-girlfriend if you and your date can use her membership.

Even that falls apart if I press too hard.

Good Troll...  :dumbom:

If you currently live in Vietnam as per your intro, why are you worrying about applying for Vietnam visa?  Why can't you replace your passport when you live in-country?  It's simple, inexpensive (400K) and fast enough (between 24 hours and 5 days, with temporary passport you can use in the interim.)

If you think you may lose a passport in the future, why don't you think it may be your US passport instead of your Vietnamese hộ chiếu?  Replacing a hộ chiếu is much cheaper than replacing a US passport ($110), so if you feel the need to worry, you should've chosen a more worthwhile cause.

Above all, what's so special about Vietnamese passport that you must worry about a future without one, especially when you're legally a citizen of Vietnam?