Bank loans in Japan

Hello,

Finances and banking can sometimes be a headache for many expats, especially when it comes to taking out bank loans.

Is it difficult for an expat to get approved for a bank loan in Japan?

What are the types of bank loans available for expats (mortgage/bonds; business loans; car loans; personal loans; student loans)?

What are the general conditions for expats to take out bank loans (interest rates; timeframe to repay loans, etc.)?

Which bank in Japan is the most popular or accessible for expats regarding loans?

Would you normally require the services of an accounts manager at the bank in order to facilitate the process of taking out a loan? Is this service free of charge?

What would happen in the case of an unpaid loan if you have to repatriate back to your home country or move somewhere else?

Are there any other options for loans aside from the bank in Japan, such as taking out a loan from your bank in your home country, or other types of companies not affiliated with banks, that give out loans?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Most if not, all bank loans requires a permanent residency in your residence card. I tried applying with my spouse visa and only got 1 company to approve my application which is Aiful, a sarakin loan. 17% up to 300k, after a year it'll be up to 500k @ 20% if above 300k is borrowed.

They also will ask about your work, how long you been in the same company, how big is your salary per year, how many people are living with you, total home income, other loans like cars, house, credit cards, other sarakin loans.

Payment options are either convenience store atm, or auto deduct from your bank account which is convenient and no atm fees and hassle.

If you pay earlier than the scheduled date, 1month ahead you get almost 0% interest! As the days goes by, it will slowly come to a full 18% interest rate.

After you pay, the amount minus the interest can be borrowed again. Example, your max loan is 30man, you took 30man, paid for 3mos 11k/mo, minus interests, you can take out 3mos worth of paid loan again! But this is just digging your self a deeper and deeper hole in your pocket as you will forever be giving them 18%!

I suggest you find a stable job, stay there for at least 6mos, get a visa with 3yrs expiration or 1yr renewable will do as for my spouse visa had a 1yr validity when i first converted it but still was approved by the loaner. Just make sure you're able pay for the next 2yrs because you can be blacklisted and never get even a car loan or a housing loan until you're paid and clean again.

Thank you for this. I tried to get a loan after getting a job here and was rejected. Even for a credit card. You need to have lived in the country for at least 6 months before you can think about getting anything like that. The interest rate sounds really high though. What kind of job do you have?

I work at a Mitsubishi Motors owned company through "haken kaisha" for 2yrs now.
I earn at least 350man yen a year.
Interest rates are really insane! 18% for card loan, 15% for credit revolving.

Card I first got was from Yahoo! Japan, Master Card. It was the easiest but only have 100,000yen limit for credit, no cashing.

2nd card was an Amazon jp Card, Mitsui Sumitomo Master Card with 100,000yen limit again, no cashing.

I applied a Cashing Loan from Aiful, which gave me 300,000 limit at first, after 1yr my limit went up to 600k, and now they raised it to 990k! I still havent used this though, too much monthly bill for me.

3rd card is from JCB Card W, registered though Amazon.co.jp. Limit is 200,000jpy for credit, 100,000jpy Cashing but 200k was the limit for both credit+cashing.

4th card I just got last month was from Costco Global Orico Master Card with 300,000 limit, 100,000jpy Cashing.

I also just bought a used car for 400,000jpy, loan processed by the shop through cedyna.co.jp, SMBC company. I pay 14k for first month, and 10k for 41mos.

These I got within 2yrs on my current visa and job. Maybe as long as you dont change jobs much, earns at least 300man a year, depends on where you live i think? You can get a card or loan.