How to find an IT expat job contract before moving to Vietnam

Hello! My partner and I want to move to VN (probably around Ho Chi Minh City). I have just started researching how to make this happen for us (we're thinking of moving end of 2019 to early 2020). In my research I have seen that people can find a term contract to work for some length of time (I'm thinking 2 years) where they receive living and travel accommodations, annual trip home, and even property management fees included for those who own homes on top of paid time off, health care, and good pay.

I currently work in IT doing software programming, database administration, and server administration.  Skills include C#, ASP.NET (MVC), Java, Angular, T-SQL, SQL Server SSIS....I'm very willing to study skills that are more in demand. From what I've been able to gather Java and mobile programming for Android and ios seem popular.

I'm wondering if anyone here has gotten a job contract like I've described? How did you do it? How long was the process?

Do you recommend any job search engines? (vietnamworks.com seems to be recommended a lot here)

If these contract jobs aren't a thing/common in VN then what would/did you do instead? My financial concerns are that I need to continue to make payments on my debt and save for retirement while being able to afford life in VN.

Thank you so much for your help!

For contract positions or freelancing its usually by word of mouth, recommendation of past local work, and local contacts.  As for the offered benefits you mentioned it would apply to personnel with unique skills and key positions.  How many industry years of experience do you have?  Send me a PM.

knguyen9098 wrote:

My financial concerns are that I need to continue to make payments on my debt and save for retirement while being able to afford life in VN.

What I have read here in other threads is the salary in the IT industry in Vietnam is not so high.
Considering that there are many others who want to live here and want to earn money with programming (including online crowdworkers) and that there are millions of "cheap" programmers in India and other Asian countries, I can understand that salary for an IT job in Vietnam is not that high.

I think if you really would find an IT job in Vietnam, there's only enough money for a middle-class life in Vietnam.
But you write that you also want to pay back debts and save for retirement.
I think Vietnam (and other Asian countries) is probably the worse place for that.

I expect that ten years ago there were lucrative opportunities for western trained IT workers, but that as Andy suggests, the country is largely self sufficient today.  In fact the husband of a friend of my wife has found a job in North Carolina on an H1-B visa for tech workers.  If Vietnam is exporting tech labor to the US, how could it be a lucrative location for US tech workers?  Don't forget that Vietnam is the land of Flappy Bird.