Work and residence permit update

Hello everyone,

my name is Francesco and I currently work at SYSU.
I am posting a question about work/residence permits.

My passport and residence permit will expire in late March 2019 but my work permit will expire at the end of August 2020.

Since I will get a new passport number, I was wondering how I can update my information on the work permit (i.e. passport number, and perhaps period of validity). The HR staff from my workplace will certainly help, but I was wondering what the procedure is, in these cases.

I was also wondering if I could apply for an extension of the residence permit once I transfer the current permit on the new passport. Once I have updated the work permit and have a new passport, can I immediately apply for a new residence permit that covers my stay from late March 2019 to end of August 2020?

Thanks in advance for any reply and best,

Francesco

It is difficult to help you. What is your nationality? What is your visa class? Where did you get the visa and how log have you had it? If you have a residency , then what do you o for a living? What city are you in? Are you married?

China is a big country, after all with many people in very different situations.

Hello and thanks for your answer.

Some more info...

I am Italian, married, my Visa Class is Z, and I have an "A" level work permit. I have the Visa since the 01/09/2017, and I am currently a senior research fellow at Sun Yat-Sen U., with a contract running from the 01/09/2017 to the 31/08/2020. The work permit was awarded on the 13/09/2017 and officially expires on the 31/08/2020. The residence permit was awarded on the 25/09/2017 and officially expires on the 25/03/2019. I live in Guangzhou.

If further information is needed, I can fill in.

Thanks again and best,

Francesco

EDIT: I obtained work and residence permit in Guangzhou, but I obtained the Z Visa while I was working in Sweden,  16/08/2017.

To Vannrox : Thank you . I learnt from you today.. that China was a big country with many people. I have lived here many years and did not know this. Not until I read your comment!