Mexican banks that would allow international wires

Hi, all

Recently had a refusal of Wells Fargo to allow me to wire money due to their policy of sending access codes to US phones only. Wells Fargo says I have to travel to US to do any  wire transfers as I have a Mexican cell phone now that I live here. Anyone know of any banks here with more liberal policies or US  phone company that would have minimal plan.

Thanks, Betty

Relaxinbaja wrote:

Hi, all

Recently had a refusal of Wells Fargo to allow me to wire money due to their policy of sending access codes to US phones only. Wells Fargo says I have to travel to US to do any  wire transfers as I have a Mexican cell phone now that I live here. Anyone know of any banks here with more liberal policies or US  phone company that would have minimal plan.

Thanks, Betty

With a new president about to take office and the less than a wonderful relationship between Mexico and the U.S. things have become a little more prone to minutia. I just went through an "update" with my Mexican bank myself.

Wells Fargo has a notorious history, as does B of A, so if I were you I would talk to Citibank (Banamex). Of course, U.S. banks have slashed their exposure to Mexico so their numbers are dwindling, but one who still has a Mexican presence should help. It's mostly the U.S. side that is making things difficult. The problem is that banks in the U.S. have to jump through many hoops and pay extra fees to do foreign transfers.
That's why I think a bank that has a Mexican presence may be easier and safer. They don't like foreign phone numbers, but I don't think your phone is the problem.

Buena Suerte

Thank you for your help- will speak with Banamex/Citibank to see if regulations are more relaxed. Wells Fargo charged $45 fee to send $800 so those extra fees are passed on. Really don't want to repeat that situation too often!

Thanks again, Betty