Family KITAS and ‘work’

Hi everyone,

I've recently moved to Bali and am here on a family KITAS as my husband has a work visa (working in a school). I'm confused to the differences between a family KITAS, spouse KITAS and KITAP? I want to run a toddler play date at our rented accommodation and provide art activities. It will obviously cost money to buy the art supplies to do and I wanted to know if it is ok to get the other parents to reimburse me for the materials? I've been told by another expat that receiving any money is classed as paid work and illegal, even if it is donated. I want to do everything above board, so does anyone know if I can do this? Also, would I be allowed to teach art privately, or is the law for working in this way only apply to those married to a local?
Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble. I've read to many pages and forums, that have left me very confused.
Thank you for any help.

Karen

They'll be a few expats in here who will give you a definite “legal” answer but Imy understanding is you can Not do any work of any sort it only allows you to live here whilst  husband is employed (I could be incorrect)

KaRobin wrote:

I'm confused to the differences between a family KITAS, spouse KITAS and KITAP?

You can get a KITAS but you can't get a KITAP

KaRobin wrote:

I want to run a toddler play date at our rented accommodation

There's a better than average chance you'd be warned at minimum, deported if you're unlucky.
Anything that takes work from an Indonesian is likely to cause problems for you, paid or otherwise.

KaRobin wrote:

would I be allowed to teach art privately

No, about the same as above as far as KITAS holders are concerned.

kindly consider law stated below,i suggest do more research on this.

Immigration Act 6 of 2011

Article 61

states that the holder of a Limited Stay Permit and Permanent Stay Permit can work and/or do business to make ends meet for him/her and/ for his/her family, but still has to refer back to the Labour Law No. 13 year 2003 and Permenakertrans No. 12 year 2013, which essentially mean that a foreign worker in a mixed marriage is allowed to work without a work permit if in the informal sector, freelance or have a small business which is not a legal entity. When working in a legal entity then MUST have IMTA

cheers.
rick

Been married to an indonesian for 8 years
And I live in uk my wife lives in java we got land and a home
So how do I go about getting visa kitas kitap so I can get bank account things like that and do limited work retire when time comes help anyone

Married for eight years means a KITAS is likely to be all but automatic
After two KITAS, you can apply for a KITAP.

Part time, uncontracted work on a KITAP is legal, but the question of full time work is in dispute.

Thanks for direct answer.
I just wanted abit more freedom in Indonesia as I will retire when I Finnish hitting a few targets in uk at my work Plus I have a small business in uk aka self employed security agent

You have zero legal ways to operate a small security company over here as any work you engage in must be something an Indonesian is unavailable for.

However, your wife is Indonesian so she can do as she fancies, even if you're doing all the actual work out of sight.
As long as your face doesn't show up in work related anything, immigration won't care. When you're on a KITAP after a couple of years, you can show up and it's 100% legal in a family business run by your wife (even if you're running it).

I should add, some say a KITAS allows the same as a KITAP so it's worth researching as my knowledge on the subject is now out of date because I have no further personal care regarding work permits and all the other immigration bumf. I can say back when the new legislation was introduced, I attended the immigration department meetings and it was very clear only KITAP holders had working rights (with limitations according to the work department people, but that's a subject for debate).

Just checked your profile

Shipping security with military background is a whole different kettle of fish and specialized work.
That leaves you with possible opportunities - Time to start hunting out potential employers on the net, then get phoning around.

We will run family business on our land nothing big going to keep things simple keep working in the UK but build in Indonesia till I sort out kitas kitap

Just keep the family business in your wife's name and make sure you aren't obviously running it - That should keep things happy, even if you are running the thing in reality.
The moment you show your face as the owner is the moment rival companies run by locals will complain, and that could well bring serious problems to your door.

Defenition of business diferent than work. Need work permit or no depend on type of job
Undang-undang Keimigrasian No.6 tahun 2011, mengenai apakah WNA yang menikah dengan WNI masih perlu Work Permit untuk bisa bekerja di Indonesia, sehubungan dengan bunyi pasal 61 sebagai berikut :

"Pemegang Izin Tinggal terbatas sebagaimana dimaksud dalam Pasal 52 huruf e dan huruf f dan pemegang Izin Tinggal Tetap sebagaimana dimaksud dalam Pasal 54 ayat (1) huruf b dan huruf d dapat melakukan pekerjaan dan/atau usaha untuk memenuhi kebutuhan hidup dan/atau keluarganya."
Immigration Law No.6 in 2011, concerning whether foreigners who are married to Indonesian citizens still need Work Permit to work in Indonesia, in connection with the sound of article 61 as follows:

"Holders of a limited Stay Permit as referred to in Article 52 letter e and letter f and holders of Permanent Stay Permits as referred to in Article 54 paragraph (1) letter b and letter d can carry out work and / or business to meet the necessities of life and / or their families. "

Hi everyone,

I found an interesting link about the subject above:

to my understanding as for the application of the law by the authorities, KITAS and KITAP holders can't work at all (any types of jobs even freelance) except with a work permit delivered by the manpower after being request by an employer in Indonesia that have to vouch for you and prove your relevance in term of experience and knowledge (expert or no one available with the skill set needed). But as for playing it a bit risky and in the grey areas the family business could go unnoticed and the freelance job would be hard to be uncovered. I know it is not easy for those who have family in Indonesia and want to provide like myself but I advised my fellow expats to be cautious with the grey areas and refer to the authorities in term of the application of the law or else you might find yourself in big troubles.

As a conservatist minded person I understand the will of the authorities to protect the indonesian job market with it current unemployment rate nevertheless the law should be clear and coherent because on one side they want to allow family reunion for the foreigner with his indonesian relative but on the other side he strips the expatriates of his fundamental right of woking by removing a fair share of the job opportunities by making them go through the work permit regulation when the immigration law say unrestrictedly that they could work to provide for their family...so I think there is a need of a big change and openness to give more ease to those who are looking to be part of the indonesian society.

ps: for the KITAP further research need to be done but to my knowledge nothing seems to indicate that the legal application is different from the KITAS

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : no external link please

Working permit only need to formal job. As foreigner need to work for Indonesian spouse & child, regulation open for foreigner as self employee. For detail & dont become illegal can consultation to manpower Gov office