Registering a birth in Indonesia

Hi, can anyone tell me the process of registering the birth of a baby born to an Indonesian father and British mother. Also, is there a time limit? Thanks so much.

I don't recall the time limit but I understand there is one, and it's not that long.
Your hospital should have given you a form and a set of footprints along with the bill, so start by taking that lot to your local RT and see if the process starts there or direct to the area office.
I went direct on both occasions but I know there have been many changes over the last couple of years so that specific process may have changed as well.

Thank you. Do you happen to know if it's a big problem to miss the deadline?

Janey707 wrote:

Thank you. Do you happen to know if it's a big problem to miss the deadline?

My first was born in the days of bribery and corruption so the local area office told us we must wait a month before we register.
Returning after a month ensured we had to pay the bribe so I have no clue at all - Sorry.

We did the second one quickly.

All you can do is go top the office and ask - much depends on the mood they're in.

Thank you!

They are a few agents who can assist, but do as Fred suggests , if I remember correctly it was about half a million but I'm not 100% on the figure, to get the certificate back and depending on location it can be as quick as 2 weeks or 2 months,if unmarried only the mothers name can be entered along with your religion etc
If your not an Indonesian National you'll need your passport etc, also inform your embassy for assistance if you decide to leave the country, immigration don't like foreigners taking out Indonesian children (from first hand experience)
If your unmarried but marry later you can update your child's birth certificate with fathers details, children's Indonesian passports take 1 week to 2 months we paid about 1.2million for our sons, his uk one took approx 4 weeks
My wife had to show my details although we at the time had been unmarried along with her ID and her birth certificate (not sure why possibly because our baby was mixed race and possibly to abductions)
But I would certainly contact your Embassay if your wishing to leave Indonesia any time soon

I'm unsure if this applies to birth certificates but I understood all services should be free of charge.
Our lad was born just before the KPK cracked down so we had to pay.

Could well be, possibly I'm thinking of the agents fees as I was looking after the Mrs and baby as she was unwell after the birth and the guy did loads or running around back and forth etc

I've just done that with my new KTP.
Should be free but the local RT offered to do all the running around for me ... at a price :D

I accepted because I'm a bit busy with things and I hate hanging around in queues. No bribes involved, just a service charge.

We are just waiting for the wife's new ID with Married on rather than single, updated KK etc not sure what one is first just letting the agent sort it all out, he's a decent bloke and very good

The KK and KTP can be updated at the same time. Just done both together.

Janey, I am sure you'll have no problems doing it. Our kids were not born in Indonesia and initially it seemed impossible for them to get birth certificates here but we eventually managed through using an agent. Now they hold two passports which is very useful.

When we was unmarried and later married we have always been advised to carry an upto date KK (copy) with all names entered on this if we left the country, and my sons birth certificate (updated one) with my name entered, one example immigration gave was if my wife visited another country and I and my son wished to join her it would make the process of a foreigner leaving Indonesia with an Indonesian child pretty straight forward otherwise they could look at this as a possible abduction and rightly so
I did have an issue taking my son a few months ago I was looked at as if I was carrying 15kg of cocaine rather than a toddler, thankfully the Mrs was half expecting this so hung around and sorted the confusion showing various documents 2 minute job, son enjoyed it mind 😂

Just got this info,to share.

For foreigners who give birth in Indonesia, it will be necessary to get a local birth certificate before a foreign passport can be issued for your baby. Then, you will need to apply for a limited stay permit (ITAS visa) for your baby, which will follow the visa of the working spouse.
Note: If the child is born to a mixed couple - one Indonesian spouse and one foreign spouse, many of these requirements /procedures differ because you have the option of that child being an Indonesian citizen. for more info see Mixed Marriages
Our thanks to visitors to the Expat Forum for their advice on how to register the birth of a foreign child (foreign national with foreign passport) in Indonesia:
•    Prepare the following documents which you need at various steps in the process:
o    Surat Keterangan Lahir for the child - issued by the delivering hospital
o    Passports of both parents
o    Birth certificates for both parents
o    Parent's marriage certificate (with translation into Indonesian, if needed)
o    Parents' ITAS (for foreigners) / KTP (for Indonesian spouse)
o    Letter from Sponsor (best if from place of employment)
o    Kartu keluarga (for those with an Indonesian spouse)
o    When you have all these documents, be sure to take ALL the originals and AT LEAST 2 photocopies of each one with you.
o    Prepare six 2x3 cm photos (kitas) and six 3x4 cm photos (kitas)and two 4x5 cm (passport). remember that all photos in Indonesia must have a red background.
•    Ask the hospital where the baby was born to provide you with a Surat Keterangan Kelahiran. Once you have this in hand, you can use this to obtain an official Birth Certificate (Akte Lahir). Take the Surat Keterangan Lahir, plus copy of foreigner parents passports, to the Catatan Sipil office in the city/area where the child was born. The Capatan Sipil office will issue the Akte Lahir.
•    Take the Akte Lahir (and the documents listed above) to register your foreign national baby at the local immigration office. You have 14 days after the baby's birth to register the birth, but often it can take longer than that to get the official birth certificate if you don't jump right on it after the baby's birth. The 14 days includes: the day the child was born, weekends, and public holidays "Tanggal Merah"... even if the immigration offices are not open. Apply for a Birth of Foreigner (Kelahiran Orang Asing) document from the immigration office.
•    If any documents are missing or not complete, the immigaton office will consider the application as a non-registration and the baby is classed as "overstay", which is a fine of $25 US for every day after the inital 14 days (still including weekends and public holidays).
•    Don't let the officials tell you that you can't have a middle or family name for your baby. You may have to fight (their customary practices) to get a birth certificate with three names.
•    According to Indonesian government regulations, you then have 60 days to obtain a passport for your newborn from your foreign embassy and take it back to immigration to get his/her ITAS and other necessary documents.
•    Alternately to the above, the hospital's records department may be able to handle a lot of the documentation hassles for you, including the registration with immigration and a certified translation of the birth certificate for the foreign passport application. By using their services you can avoid the government corruption hassles (by paying the hospital department to handle it). It is not cheap but the price is posted and the service as efficient as it gets. A smile and a few words of Indonesian will help move things along!
•    Go to your embassy to organise the registration of your baby's birth in your home country, using the local birth certificate and other documents as per your country's regulations.
•    At the same time you will need to apply for a passport for your newborn, which will require several pieces of documentation. Depending on the embassy and your country's requirments, these could include:
o    proof of citizenship - i.e., by naturalisation, birth or otherwise, requiring ORIGINAL birthcertificates of foreign father/parents, passport or other documents, and
o    original, or certified copy, of marriage documents.
•    Once you have the baby's passport in hand, then you need to return to the Indonesian immigration office to get the ITAS visa stamped in the baby's passport, get the ITAS card, etc. Needed to apply for the ITAS :
o    Surat Keterangan (work letter)
o    Passport of both parents and child
o    KTP or ITAS from mother
o    Kartu Keluarga ( if spouse is Indonesian)
o    Surat Lapor ( the Registration letter that you have to get within 14 days from the immigration office)
o    Birth certificates of child and both parents
o    Marriage certificate
o    Buku Mutasi (blue foreigner's book of father)
o    Surat Sponsor (sponsor's letter). If your wife is Indonesian then she can be the sponsor, if not you need a sponsorship letter from your employer. Best to take a sponsorship letter from your employer just in case.
o    Bring at least 2 photocopies of all documents, or make them at the photocopier just outside the office.
•    Once you've applied you can get the ITAS after approximately three days.
•    Remember that the newborn child will follow the expiration date of the father's ITAS . This is very important. No later than one month before the expiration date of the father's ITAS you need to report your child to the immigration department. There's a US$25 fine for not reporting.
•    Once you get the baby's passport and he/she is registered with immigration and has been issued an ITAS , don't forget to get an exit visa for the baby as well, just in case you need to take him/her out of Indonesia quickly.
Fees will vary depending on your "facilitator", the immigration office, and the embassy. The most expensive part of this process may be the registering of birth at the foreign embassy and issuing of the foreign passport.
First and foremost, don't forget to report to the Immigration office within 14 days of the birth. As soon as you have the original birth document from the hospital, bring it to the Immigration office. If you delay this notification, you will have to pay penalty fees of US$25/day.
Relevant Regulation about reporting changes in your family to immigration - UU No. 6 year 2011
Article 71
Each Foreigner residing in the Territory of Indonesia shall:
a. provide all necessary information regarding the identity and / or their families, and report any changes in civil status, nationality, occupation, sponsor, or a change of address to the local Immigration Office; or
b...

Article 116
Each Foreigner who do not perform his/her obligations as stipulated in Article 71 shall be punished with a maximum confinement of 3 (three) months or a fine of up to 25,000,000, 00 (twenty five million rupiah).

Note: A regulation issued in 2016 stated that you need to report in 60 days (not three months).

If you need help on this paperwork.pm me.cheers.