Trouble at the Border

New presidente Iván Duque says the days are "numbered" for ex-FARC leader 'El Guacho' who officials believe has control of the Colombian provinces along the Colombia-Ecuador border.

El Guacho has to be "taken out," said Duque. 

Since taking office, Duque has pledged to provide the resources needed to stop border-area trafficking of drugs and crush El Guacho's empire.

Duque's comments followed a meeting between him and Ecuador's presidente Moreno this past week, after which Duque assumed office and said he wants stronger border-security measures.

El Guacho's organization has taken credit for the deaths of several journalists and the retaliation-killing of an Ecuadorian couple in the southern border area in recent months.  El Guacho's is believed to be largest crime organization in the state or department of Nariño, Colombia.

---

Half a million Venezuelans have poured into Ecuador and Colombia this year, making it "the greatest migration" in the history of Latin America, according to a headline today at www.cuencahighlife.com ....  Inflation, a cratering economy, violence and lack of access to food are major reasons for the exodus of Venezuelans.

----

Ecuador's border area is under a state of emergency so that relief workers can flood the area to assist folks living in what officials desribe as "rough" conditions.

---

The International Monetary fund estimates that inflation in Venezuela could reach 1-million percent this year. 

-- sources for this post:  The Guardian and the Cuenca Highlife website

From the sound of it, there could well be trouble all over Colombia:  https://colombiareports.com/colombias-r … e-nothing/

dumluk wrote:

From the sound of it, there could well be trouble all over Colombia: https://colombiareports.com/colombias-r … e-nothing/

There is no valid point in exaggerating the problem of violence in Colombia based on an article that implies nothing approaching "trouble all over Colombia."

The report talks of rural coca-growing areas formerly controlled by La FARC and now up for grabs among competing groups attempting to fill the FARC vacuum.

There is no indication in the article that Expats visiting or living in Chapinero, Bogotá, or El Poblado, Medellín, or Bucaramanga or other major cities are subject to trouble that could supposedly occur "all over" the country.

cccmedia

No CC, and this one?  https://colombiareports.com/medellin-po … extortion/
This information has GOT to be good for future investment in Medellin, right?

Corruption in Colombia?  Police involved in crime?  I am shocked, shocked...

People who have lived in Colombia for a while or who have visited over several decades can tell you many stories of things that might upset someone hearing them from newspaper and internet reports and thinking it's a catastrophe and the society is breaking down. 

But things have gotten much better in Colombia than in the "old days" and they continue to improve - and the Colombians and the expats bought, sold, rented, invested, and traveled all over throughout and in spite of the problems, all those years.

If it bleeds, it leads.  Good news and no news always take a back seat to bad news.  The good thing is that for the most part, foreigners (gringos, at least) are treated in a special manner by most of the populace.  Oh you may still get mugged and robbed, and your home and belongings are fair game for every ladrón but when it comes to treatment by the police and authorities they pretty much play it straight by the book - they know that foreigners often can raise a ruckus over bad treatment that their own citizens can't and have come to accept as their lot.

But Colombia is definitely not for the faint of heart.  There are all sorts of disasters that occur in Colombia daily, from abuse of people by other people to abuse of people by Nature.

I don't think the police situation will adversely affect investment in Medellín by even one peso.  “A río revuelto, ganancia de pescadores.”

Your probably right about that........Most people dont even pay attention to whats happening in their own backyard......And frankly Ive had numerous trips without incident to Colombia, and pretty much all over......But I was in Nicaragua not too long before the eruption, and I felt the heat and the potential for big trouble.......And it feels like it could be taking shape again in Colombia too..........no stranger to problems and violence, just like Nicaragua.........Hope they get a handle on it tho........I commend Santos on his peace efforts.........You gotta give to get..........Now that Uribes Duque is at the controls I have ahunch that fuel will be tossed onto the fire........

They need ICE