Treatment Center

Hello, I am a university professor in Turkey. Me and my family will be moving to Essen in September after signing a contract with FOM Hochschule.

I have a 8.5 year-old daughter who has some psychiatric issues such as learning difficulty, attention deficit and repetitive compulsive behaviour. She has been attending a normal primary school in Turkey and has successfully completed 2nd grade. After we move, we would like her to attend a German state primary school next year.

We would like to know whether there is a center in or near Esssen where she can get intensive treatment outside school hours and where we can also leave her overnight for a few days if the need arises. Preferably, it has to be a state-funded institution since I will be a taxpayer in Germany. Can you please give us your opinion/recommendatons in this regard? Thank you very much. Cheers..

I don't know Essen so I can't give any specific information. I would think that you would need to contact the local school convenient to where you live and inform them of the situation. I would assume they will make some kind of evaluation to know what is best for your child. Possibly they will suggest another school that is better equipped to give her the best opportunities. There are of course public run school for special needs children if they are deemed to be better off there than in a normal school. One should anyway look for a family physician as soon as possible. Possibly through them one might also get referred for evaluation for any needed treatments.

But I don't understand why you post this question since you already asked this before and got extensive answers from me listing all of the special schools in Essen. I am giving a link to the thread.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 01#4249980

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, if you read my post carefully, you will see that my question was about centers where my child can get treatment outside school hours, as opposed to the best suitable school for her which was the subject of my previous post and to which you had kindly answered and sent me the links.

Anyways, thanks again for the info.

Maybe this LINK might be of help?

tulug wrote:

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, if you read my post carefully, you will see that my question was about centers where my child can get treatment outside school hours, as opposed to the best suitable school for her which was the subject of my previous post and to which you had kindly answered and sent me the links.

Anyways, thanks again for the info.

OK. But I think you first need to find out the basics like having a proper evaluation and seeing what school is recommended. I think the people involved with such basic care will be the best qualified to suggest what additional treatment(s) might be needed and where to get them. It's commendable to see parents concerned about their kids and trying to prepare as well as possible. But sometimes one needs to go one step at a time. In the meantime, like for any family moving to a new country, one should be trying to learn about the country, culture and language as much as possible.