Is 10500RM per month good salary in KL, Malaysia?

Dear Friends,

I recently received relocation offer from my company to KL (near Ampang Park station). The offer that I received per month before tax is 8300 RM  salary + 2200 RM towards rent. Do you think it's a good salary in KL?
Some info about me: I am single and would like to stay in condo alone. In India my salary is 11lakhs before tax per year and 4 yrs experience.
Also I am being relocated on local salary and not expatriate.

Will really appreciate any help.

Yes it's a huge money and a good salary since you are alone..

Thanks for the reply.

hi Akash,
This is pretty nice salary. Just use numbeo.com for any comparisons. Let me know if u need more info/help.

Cheers!
Ash

Yes, Koul is right. It's important to understand the Cost of Living in Malaysia to compare salary in India with offer here.

Hi Ashwani and Gravitas,

Thanks for your help.
I did check numbeo.com and could figure out the offer is not a bad deal.
Hopefully I should be able to rent a condo not very far from ampang station at 2200 RM.

Once again thanks for your help.

Hopefully you also understand the income for tax in Malaysia

The deduction until about July 2019 will be 28%

Hi Gravitas

Yes I did read that 28% is the tax levied for 182 days and later it comes down to local rates. The excess tax deducted in these 182 will get refunded after filing return.
I think the tax after 182 days should be around 600-700 RM for me.
Though I am not sure if 182 days start from Jan 2019 or Nov 2018 when I may actaully start working there. If the days start from Jan 2019 then how much tax do I need to pay for months left in 2018.

To qualify to be tax-resident (TR) in your case it will start from January 2019 (as you can't become TR in 2018 due to lack of days in Malaysia)

Its going to be 28% for earnings in 2018 and January-July in 2019.

As long as you don't take more than 14 days personal absences outside Malaysia from Jan-Jul 2019, then tax year 2018 will be linked to tax year 2019.  Once you become TR in 2019, both years will be retroatively calculated on the TR basis.

I think your tax will be at about 1,250 per month. Salary and in-kind benefits are taxable. I have used your total monthly salary+housing figure.

I work at Ampang Park and go home at Sri Rampai Station, which is only a train ride away. It takes me about 20 minutes total to get to and from work every day. There are nice condos around. You can easily get a fully furnished place with ur rent allowance. Good luck

Depends on your lifestyle. Some people are comfortable with RM3000, others with RM10,000.

If you rent a place in KL and your rent is RM4000 and eat out all the time, you might have a hard time. I know of a person from the Philippines who worked at Al-Jazeera earning 10K a month. At the end of her contract, she didn't really have any savings when going back to her home. It was because her salary was so high, she spent all of it to live a plush lifestyle.

Hope this helps!

Hi Gravitas, mikesaddi, wheight2

Thanks a lot for your useful comments. It was really helpful. I have accepted the offer. Hoping to have a good time there.

Congrats on accepting the offer. Good luck and see you soon :)

It's a very good offer... Normally with the figure is manager salary in Malaysia..