Hiv Positive

I wish to work in vietnam..  Is there a medical if you are going to get working visa?  Is hiv tesf included what if they tell u u are positive are they going to deport you?

This question comes up with about annual regularity.  As I don't recall anyone answering that they were HIV positive and still obtained a work permit it is likely that the answer is no.  he policy may not be scientifically justified but we don't write the rules, the Vietnamese authorities do.

So sad... I wish somebody can answer that... I read a forun that hiv test is not mandatory

mingocarlo wrote:

So sad... I wish somebody can answer that... I read a forun that hiv test is not mandatory

Perhaps the test is no longer a mandatory part of the physical.  It was in the past but I don't know about now.  Someone who took the physical recently can tell.

I'm positive and have recently obtained a work permit. I got lots of conflicting information about this prior to my arrival, but it's not been an issue for me. My company referred me to Medlatec in Tây Ho, Hanoi and I wasn't tested for HIV during my medical check. However, I have heard stories about people being tested during medical checks without their concent and their work permits being rejected. There are other, less legal options like counterfeit tests bit id be cautious of this. Not everyone here is honest. Hope this helps.

SPECTRE85 wrote:

I'm positive and have recently obtained a work permit.

You didn't tell us what occupation you are in.  I wonder if distinctions are being made between occupations.  An accountant is unlikely to pass on his infection status in any work environment, but I wouldn't want anyone who was HIV positive to be standing next to the operating table where they could prick their finger while I was having open heart surgery.

The moral can of worms you're opening aside, as far as I've gleaned there is no distinction according to Profession. The specific test is more dependent on what hospital you go to. The work permit process I believe is standardised after that. As I'm not a surgeon I can't comment on the requirements to get a licence to practice medicine in Vietnam.

I wish to work in Vietnam..  Is there a medical if you are going to get working visa?  Is hiv tesf included what if they tell u u are positive are they going to deport you?

I know of many Kampuchean Khrom that were positive for SIDA that were sent back to Cambodia from Soc Trang.............Vietnam takes SIDA serious!!, there is no expectation of medical privacy in this country, and the likely hood of deportation is factual  -  I am happy for the poster that says his test was not recorded as positive, but I see no future here for a foreigner that is HIV positive.

You can take your chances, but be forewarned, I have been here on and off for over 18 years and seen a lot.

My question to you is Why Vietnam??

This is starting to sound a little like the old joke about the hillbilly (US reference for the rest of you) who answers the first question of "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?" with "No," then answers the "Why?" question with "Never got caught."  I confess to having not read SPECTRE85's post #5 carefully enough.  As his WP physical did not include an HIV test, we still don't have an answer to the basic question which perhaps should be modified to specify "Has anyone who has tested positive as part of his official physical been granted a work permit?"  If the HIV test has been dropped from WP physicals at all locations across the country, only then could we make the assumption that it does not matter.  We know that in other areas like visas, the rules originating in Hanoi may be the same but the applications and interpretations can vary widely from one province to another.

Hi, if possible could we make contact to chat