The nightlife scene in Mexico

Hello,

Having access to a good nightlife scene can be a determining factor for many expats upon choosing their next destination. Tell us more about the nightlife in Mexico.

In Mexico, what is the nighlife culture like: is it common for people to go out at night? Is there a big difference between the nightlife during the weekdays and weekends?

What are the most popular evening or nighttime activities (e.g. bars, nightclubs, shows, cultural activities, etc.)?

Is it safe to venture out in the evening and at night in Mexico?

Is there anything in particular that surprised you about the nightlife in Mexico?

Are there any apps or websites (or any other resources) that would help in staying informed about evening and nighttime activities?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello,

Having access to a good nightlife scene can be a determining factor for many expats upon choosing their next destination. Tell us more about the nightlife in Mexico.

In Mexico, what is the nighlife culture like: is it common for people to go out at night? Is there a big difference between the nightlife during the weekdays and weekends?

What are the most popular evening or nighttime activities (e.g. bars, nightclubs, shows, cultural activities, etc.)?

Is it safe to venture out in the evening and at night in Mexico?

Is there anything in particular that surprised you about the nightlife in Mexico?

Are there any apps or websites (or any other resources) that would help in staying informed about evening and nighttime activities?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I tend to stay indoors at night. The evening is okay and pretty safe. I do go out with friends for some events like dia de muertos. usually, there is a lot of activity on festival days.

The downside is the same downside you can find anywhere.  Drinking, obnoxious behavior related to drinking and on occasion people passed out in the street. And in many parts of Mexico the bugs, especially mosquitos join the party. So I would say with friends at an event should be fine, try not to drink so much that you set yourself up to be a victim. stay where there is a breeze and wear repellent. The same advice I would give in NOLA during  Mardi Gras or California before the Rose Parade. The increased potential for robberies should get your attention also, so make sure your house or apartment is secure.

Overall you should be safer than in the U.S. if you show caution. Festivals are pretty much the talk of the town, your friends will tell you and you will see the signs in the malls and stores. Some events are famous yearly events. And of course, business is no longer as usual governments agencies and banks will likely be closed.

Depending on where you live . there are many night time activities. There are sporting events, Plays at the theater, Night clubs, Movies,Fine dining, My favorite is going over to my neighbors house and drink beer in his driveway with some of my other neighbors. good times and good conversation.

My wife and I are avid ballroom and Latin dancers who have also competed at the amateur and pro-am levels.  Dances invariably are in the evenings, often lasting late into the night, no matter where in the world they are.  Should we be concerned about going somewhere to dance in the evenings?  We would even dance nearly every night with the right opportunities. But we don't want to put ourselves in harm's way....

DirtyPierre2018 wrote:

My wife and I are avid ballroom and Latin dancers who have also competed at the amateur and pro-am levels.  Dances invariably are in the evenings, often lasting late into the night, no matter where in the world they are.  Should we be concerned about going somewhere to dance in the evenings?  We would even dance nearly every night with the right opportunities. But we don't want to put ourselves in harm's way....

Well,it comes to knowing the area you are in. That takes experience.By the most part I would not be to concerned about it.