Retirement Visa and study visa daughter

Hi Guys
Please could you guys assist.We live in South Africa and have a Thai common law wife for 10 years and a SA daughter of 14 years old.We are looking at relocating to Pattaya,but getting so many conflicting opinions,even from the Embassy here.I want to get a retirement visa—i am over 50 and a study visa for my daughter.What visa do i leave on from SA—is it a non immigrant visa for 90 days and do i then convert it in Thailand.Also i was told this was the easiest,but i would like  to work at some stage,so can i change to marriage visa later and apply then for a work permit.As you guys have already been through the the whole episode,i would greatly appreciate your advise and even if it came from a fellow SOUTH AFRICAN that has been through the same issues ,that would be a bonus.Many thanks

If you meet all the requirements why not get Non-Immigrant O-A visa for purpose of retirement before you leave SA.  It only requires two additional items not required in Thailand and they are medical certificate and police clearance.  Upon arrival in Thailand you get 1 year permission to stay.

Some countries may not issue Type O-A visa but only Type O which is good for ninety days.  You would then apply for retirement extension in Thailand.

You daughter can probably go on Non-Immigrant Type ED (education) visa but I think a Non-Immigrant Type O visa as your dependent would be better.  Her permission to stay would then be tied to your visa and future extensions.  She would apply for extensions as your dependent so her permission to stay till will match yours.

For required documents always check with Thai Embassy for each type of visa.

You can convert to marriage visa in future and would then be able to work and get work permit.

I hope you have checked the cost of international schools for daughter because they are not cheap.

Thanks Straydog
Thanks for hour assistance,i am going to make an appointment with the Embassy in Pretoria,as i have been told it cannot be done from here.
Yes-have checked out the fees for international schools—prices are crazy.I have decided on the dual medium English school,not sure what they are called,but have checked the curriculem and fees and seem much more affordable.regards