Marrying a Vietnamese woman

roy little wrote:

MEGALODON, No my point is not moot.  The point is that same culture marriages have a 50-50 chance ( and that doesn't mean that 50% who don't divorce are necssarily happy) and intercultural marriage in VN (and elsewhere perhaps) has a much higher rate of dissolution. So I guess you have some difficulty with reading comprehension.

I don't think you quite understand what YOU wrote.

50% of marriages end in divorce - THE SAME PERCENTAGE as those who marry those from another culture. If ANYTHING, this means that "marrying within your own culture" should be BETTER and have a LESS percentage of divorce. The fact that there is ONLY 50% divorce rate marrying outside your culture is FAR BETTER than that of within your culture.

So yeah...  your point IS moot.

I guess I need to draw you a picture to aid you in your education in reading.

@ roy,
And if I could add my dongs worth,I think 50% rate is way low. And your right the ones still married get their monthly beating and go back to get beat again because they feel they have no options. Granted that is why they like us Western  guys. We stay home, do not need to pound on things except our meat etc.
THIGV was right.... it does take all kinds here to marry and their experiences are different. But I think most can agree the stress level in everyday life is far greater here than in your mother country. For example you have to tell the bride what you want at the market and walk well behind her so as not to pay the round-eyed tax. And so many more. And exyra stress puts any telationship to the test. But the OP got ot all explained to him on Skype, and the future bride has assured him. I do not think I have met a local that new anything about the visa processs here even.
I think it was THIGV that eluuded to the marriage benefit of being anle to get a VEC. Back when he was here that was true. You never had to exit. But with the new rules you must exit once a year. Not sure I would marry for that benefit one anyway.

roy little wrote:

I guess I need to draw you a picture to aid you in your education in reading.

Yeah, I think you do.

IF....   divorce rates WITHIN your own culture are 50%....  According to YOUR logic....   it would stand to reason that it SHOULD be HIGHER when marrying OUTSIDE of your culture. But..   it isn't.

Wow...  YOU may think you are saying something different, but it is CLEAR that what you think you are saying is not what you mean.   ;)  I deal with stats all of the time - I know how to read them.

Diazo wrote:

And your right the ones still married get their monthly beating and go back to get beat again because they feel they have no options. Granted that is why they like us Western  guys. We stay home, do not need to pound on things except our meat etc.

SMH....   simply amazing.

Interestingly it seems that statistics for divorce do not agree with the high number we place on it here in VN. The USA far exceeds the rate here as reported apparently. Something sure seems skewed. My word it seemslije marriages here last no time at all.

Is Interracial Marriage More Likely to End in Divorce?

by Jacky Newport
3 years ago
This article was written by a member of the SheKnows Community. It has not been edited, vetted or reviewed by our editorial staff, and any opinions expressed herein are the writer's own.
Academics often portray race as a “social construction”, implying that it is nothing more than an idea bred through human thought and interaction. In the process, they deny race to be a material fact of life on earth but the truth is that it does exist and contains a biological element – because we have awarded it one. Race has come to impact various aspects of our lives, whether we are aware of it or not, and one of the institutions that has been significantly affected by race is marriage.
According to the 2010 Census in the United States, interracial divorce rates are comparatively higher than divorce rates between white couples. Thus, the success of your marriage will depend on the race of your partner. It should be remembered that the stats presented in the survey are not absolute and may be subjective in nature, not taking into consideration the fact that whites significantly outnumber other racial groups.

ANY QUESTIONS? I guess your stats are incorrect ....

roy little wrote:

by Jacky Newport
3 years ago....................

What you presented are certainly not statistics either.  It looks like a summary of an opinion blog type article.  I am not supporting the accuracy of anyone else's statistics, but this proves nothing.

I was wondering what that was about or directed to whom.

Megalodon wrote:

My future wife knows I have VERY LITTLE MONEY.

The notion of "no money" for you can be very different than the notion of "Westerner with no money" for a local Vietnamese. Just your citizenship can be worth a lot for her in the long term. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she's with you for those reasons, but just remember even when broke you'll be much "richer" than a standard local Vietnamese man in her eyes.

colinoscapee wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
FredKaspers wrote:

Sorry for you but the land is in my name , it can be done , it just takes a little paperwork

Interesting, there are only a few ways you can buy land here.

I would be interested as to how you bought it in your name.

I have bought several blocks of land here and never once in my name due to not meeting the legal requirements.

It looks like we will never know how it's done.

As Trump would be saying: "FAKE NEWS!"  :D

roy little wrote:

Apparently you like moving the goal posts. What was it that YOU said here on THIS FORUM?

Oh yes....

roy little wrote:

The point is that same culture marriages have a 50-50 chance ( and that doesn't mean that 50% who don't divorce are necssarily happy) and intercultural marriage in VN (and elsewhere perhaps) has a much higher rate of dissolution.

So YOU were the one who brought in the stats - I DIDN'T. YOU said the above - I DIDN'T. And now you come back and bring NEW stats. Simply amazing. You say one thing, and then you come back and say something different. And yet...  You can't see this? Simply...  WOW.

WillyBaldy wrote:
Megalodon wrote:

My future wife knows I have VERY LITTLE MONEY.

The notion of "no money" for you can be very different than the notion of "Westerner with no money" for a local Vietnamese. Just your citizenship can be worth a lot for her in the long term. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she's with you for those reasons, but just remember even when broke you'll be much "richer" than a standard local Vietnamese man in her eyes.

Of course. But then she has her own business and often makes more than I do EVEN HERE IN THE US. This is why it is dangerous to generalize when each individual is different. I recall the teacher in my physics class had a saying on the wall. It said...

ALL generalizations are dangerous, even this one.

WillyBaldy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Interesting, there are only a few ways you can buy land here.

I would be interested as to how you bought it in your name.

I have bought several blocks of land here and never once in my name due to not meeting the legal requirements.

It looks like we will never know how it's done.

As Trump would be saying: "FAKE NEWS!"  :D

Exactly. Some posters say they have done things, yet can't back it up. Looks like Fred may have been confused about land ownership. He may still provide us with evidence, but I'm not holding my breath.

colinoscapee wrote:

Exactly. Some posters say they have done things, yet can't back it up. Looks like Fred may have been confused about land ownership. He may still provide us with evidence, but I'm not holding my breath.

If I had to bet, I'd say he *thinks* the land is in his name because he sees his name on some official piece of paper with some signatures. Maybe even a Vietnamese lawyer told him that "yes, yes, the land is yours, thanks for the cash". But as long as his amazing girlfriend is on his side, he's got nothing to worry about  :P