Brasil retirement visa.

I had planned to retire in Brasil at the end of this year, something I had been planning for over 20 years.

Come the time to start the application process for a retirement visa /  visto de aposentadoria, I discover that there is no longer any such visa.

Does anybody have an idea why this type of visa has been discontinued?  Or maybe if it will be reinstated at a later stage?

The response from the local consulate is that they have been given no information regarding retirement in Brasil and the only other option is to apply for a work visa!  An online information request to the Itamaraty portal has been thusfar unsuccessful.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

kilobravo

It's true!  During the reform of the immigration laws last year, the retirement visa inexplicably disappeared.  It simply went unmentioned in the new law, and expired with the old one.
I haven't been able to find an explanation, but my hypothesis is that it wasn't showing the hoped-for economic impact, because Brazil is much farther from Europe and North America, the main targets of these visas, that it does for Caribbean countries.
The retirement visa is still available in some Spanish and English-speaking countries; "International Living" magazine is a good information source.  And Brazil still has an investment visa, if you qualify.  Good luck!

Thanks for the information.  The investment visa information is very sparse on their websites, but I understand you can invest in Brazilian government bonds - it doesn't have to be in some risky enterprise - something not particularly attractive for a retiree!  Not sure if that is true or not, and not sure where to find out.

That's outside my knowledge base, unfortunately.   Perhaps a member who's here on an investment visa can clarify.

Investing in most all is a risk you must really understand, Government Bond carry a large risk in the currant environment.
An investment visa works somewhat like a permanent visa (RNE) but if your investments do not continue it can be revoked in 3 months.
There was an interesting article in Newsweek. 41% of voters in Brazil, live outside the country and many Brazilian's are trying to immigrate to other countries as Portugal, Europe and the US.
This is a big switch from 4 years ago (really five years but took a year to get RNE). Have invested in Gov, Bonds but no more. Sold last year before elections.
I had to find a professional (none here) but many in Sao Paulo which spoke English and explained system to me. Now he left and I was not going to do this alone.
Companies as Ford has decided to explore selling it S.A. division. It has not made a profit since 2002.( not certain as to the date). Companies cannot take the taxes anymore. Many Brazilians cannot afford new cars. Used cars out number new cars in a great percentage.

Good luck