Mauritian Driving Licence

Hi.

I have a UK driving licence.   Can I use this to get a Mauritian driving licence or will I need to take a driving test?

btw I know that I can drive here with my Uk licence but I would like a Mauritian one as well.

Regards

I recently had to do that. You can convert your international drivers license to a Mauritian one without taking any tests. It costs Rs500 and you'll need to bring an 'attestation' document as well from the UK to say that ur drivers license is genuine and what classes of vehicle you can drive.

I'd highly recommend to convert it if you can.. my wife had her international drivers license stolen and the police here cannot replace it. They could not convert it either as we did not have the original copy. Had we done the conversion earlier, it stolen, they could have easily replaced it, rather than us having to go back to the US to get another one.

Hi

Thank you for your response.

Where would I go to convert it?

You need to go to the Line Barracks in Port Louis and talk to the officials there for the conversion. They will explain the process to you.

You can do it at the Traffic Branch headquarters in Les Casernes in Port Louis. Assuming you have all the correct documentation (front and back copies of your current licence, an attestation from the issuing country, passport photos,  your residence/work permit, passport, marriage license or national ID card (where applicable)) it takes about three weeks to process. If you wear corrective lenses you'll also need a copy of your prescription and note from your eye doctor that your eyesight is sufficient to drive.