Why is Indonesia special to you?

Dear Friends,

My name is Herman and I am a MBA student from Vlerick Business School in Brussels, Belgium. Yes, we were suppose to win the World Cup 2018 (hehehe). I am fortunate to volunteer for a few months at a local NGO in Jakarta to develop various sustainable business models for renewable energy, water & sanitation and social enterprises that create jobs.

As part of my assignment, I want to meet you to understand why Indonesia is special to you and where you think sustainable living should be for all inhabitants in Indonesia. I am looking for people want to share their stories on a personal level why they live in Indonesia and why it is so special to them

I lived in Africa for many years and enjoy traveling, adventure and cycle touring. I would like to exchange my stories where I come from and how cultural diversity has formed my perspectives..

If you are interested in sharing your story and would like to host me for 1 night, please send me a PM. I have my touring bicycle and a tent distance and space is an inconvenience. Your story is still important to me.

If you live in the remotest area anywhere in Indonesia, I would like to hear from you.

I arrive in September 2018.

Kind regards

Herman

Your touring bike and tent might well be better replaced with WA or Skype (No contact details on the open forums).
These nice tech toys will also likely improve your chances of finding willing volunteers as there's no hosting anyone at all.

If you want to experience issues common to poor Indonesians, stay in a tiny village for a while and find out first hand.
Houses with dirt floors, no toilets, no electricity, and drinking water often comes from the same river people wash in. Did I mention the toilets are commonly there as well?
How about developing solar or other renewable power that'll provide lighting without flame (handy when your house is made of wood), some sort of cheap water filtration system that'll make river water drinkable (You'll soon find out why the tea is so strong and sweet), and find out what other issues are normal life for people who live without cash.

Before you talk to anyone, perhaps a peek into poverty and social norms would help you ask the right questions.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 573#527221

Hi herman.

Hmmm, I am here as citizen so i cant help you with my opinion.
What I can help you is by telling 4 people stories :

1. Charles and Jullien , charles from france and julien from sweden, they arrived at 2010 in java, we meet at a ferry ship in our journey to karimun jawa, then we decided to join our cost (transport and accomodation) as backpacker, and i quote:

Charles : "People preassume that we have alot of money, we've got overpriced, please do the negotiation for us"

Jullien : "the ciggarete is high tar and you (me) smoke to much, you could die"

Charles : "i need alot of potatoes and onion, im tired of rice, I'll do the cooking tonight"

Jullien : "I bring a my okulele with me, and people stare at me like i'm an allien, lol, c'mon this is my holiday"

Etc etc. I cant recall all of their quote. We spent 3 weeks as backpackers, i enlongest my holiday to join them, and I acted as their negotiator.

2. Max from belgium, who arrive at 2014, we meet at west borneo, I am on my way to get a flight ticket home and take my holiday, i saw him lost and almost got robbed, I tried to stop the roberry by greeting him and pretend to know him.

Max : "it was a rob?, hol*shit"

I accompany him to rumah panjang. He rented a motorcyle, asked me to drive it. Then we spent 1 weeks as backpacker. He takes my 1 weeks holiday by accident.

3. Turkies man who got drunk in a bar at Jogja. He forced me to accompany him to drink and hear his babbling

Turkies : " this country is like turkey before revolution. believe me 20 years from now,it will be like a modern turkey..........."

4. Expat Girls  .. alot of girls .. from alot of club that i ever entered..

Girls : "not tonight" :D

Hello Herman,

I will try to give a brief person opinion of how I see Indonesia.

I must say that currently I am not living in a remote part of Indonesia but through my work I do need to travel to such parts which include the most remotest areas of this country. And, as my history with Indonesia stretches back many many decades I have watched it develop from essentially shanty towns and villages to prosperity in some areas but also simple as bigger shanty towns than they used to be.

Many of the beautiful beaches have worsened as villages and towns develop and prosper. Development is a little hectic in Indonesia as there seems to be little interest in town planning. This is why so many towns and villages look a mess and full of one way streets and poor drainage that is incapable of handling heavy rains and awful sewerage systems.

However, one of the great thing I like about smaller towns and villages are the people who in many cases are "unspoiled" by western influences.

As a country, Indonesia is not really special to me. I see Indonesia as just a step in my life journey and it just happens to be a convenient place to settle for the moment. Bear in mind that I left my own home country after graduating from university, so I suppose I would consider myself more of a citizen of the world than an Indonesia lover.

Probably Indonesia is the cheapest place I have lived in. If you stick to basics and live as the native Indonesians do you can survive on very little. However, hygiene is a major problem here as are drugs and violence and crime. Of all the countries that I have lived and worked in, with perhaps the exception of India, Indonesia is probably the place where I feel the least safe and where crime is the highest.

This means that when out with my family, extra care needs to be given to closely keep an eye on my children at all times as we actually worry about child kidnappers.

Sometimes I feel sad that a country with so much potential has not developed more and in better ways and I feel there is no sign of anything changing too much in the future.

However, Indonesia is an easy escape for those looking to live in Asia on a budget because of the low cost of living and the low cost of getting a long term visa to live here compared to much higher costs in neighbouring countries.

In Indonesia, when I travel to places where few white western faces are seen, the locals look up to me as something special, all wanting to take a photo with me, or get my number to WhatsApp me or email me. It's quite embarrassing really. I can imagine for those westerners who have not traveled to many countries before that this might lead to illusions of grandeur. And, I imagine that you must have faced similar situations when based in Africa.

Cheers