Teaching Documents

First off, I'm sorry of this has been asked in countless threads, but after searching throughout the web I can't seem to find any sort of straight answer so I was hoping someone could clear this up for me.

I'm heading over to Vietnam for the first time after living in Nicaragua for the last three years. I'm originally from the US. My GF and I plan on teaching english over there for about a year.

As of right now, I have my original 4 year college degree, my TEFL certification, and a background check from the state of Colorado which I have in digital PDF as you can apply for it online here. Does anyone have any information if this will suffice, or do I need to get these notarized here in the states?

I've read that many employers do not actually provide work permits when it really comes down to it. If we only intend to stay a year does it really make sense to go through the bureaucratic struggle of getting these notarized here in the US, or see what opportunities are provided to us once in country and if need be go to the US embassy in Vietnam. Thanks for the help in advance.

Basically, it's better to work illegally. Dumb, corrupt system

If your employer want you to obtain a WP (not all do) you have the requisite documents.  Take them to the US Consulate or Embassy (HCMC or Hanoi) and have them notarized.  It is important to understand that the Consulate is not certifying the documents.  You are notarizing your affirmation that the documents are authentic.  They have a preprinted form with the proper wording.  It used to be $50/document but I read here recently that if you do all three (Diploma,TESL, Criminal check) at once you pay only one $50 fee. 

You then take the documents to DOLISA (Dept. of Labor, invalids, and Social Affairs).   The consulate/Embassy will have the address.  At DOLISA you get them translated and certified so that they can be included in the packet that the employer submits for the work permit.  Remember it is not your permit;  it is the employer's permit to hire you.  You may have to do the legwork but the employer must submit the application.

As ridiculous as it may seem, your notarized assertion is equivalent to actual certification by the appropriate agencies back in the home country.  I guess as long as it is OK with the Vietnamese authorities, just "get with the program" as my drill sergeant taught me.  Doing it all in Vietnam is way, way easier than doing it within the US.