5797 rmb/month netto - Is it possible to survive?

Hello everyone,

I was reading a few posts about living expenses in Shanghai and I am quite perplexed.

I understand that it depends on your lifestyle a lot. But I got a job offer for 8000rmb/month brutto = -18% insurance -20% taxes = 5797rmb/month netto=59 420rmb/year netto

Would I be able to survive?

Would I be able to find a single small flat/studio?
(I tried to find some sites and responded to few advertisements but without any luck or found rooms/flats which would be even more expensive than my salary after taxes)

My background:  I have a master university degree in life sciences and the job is at the university in research, I have 4yrs relevant experience and I am 30yrs old. I tried to compare salaries and I just don't know if I should risk going or if that even decent salary on its own.

It seems like one of the lowest salaries what people asked here about. I would love to move abroad, but I am kind of worried.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you

Hi elpetrik

netto 5797 RMB is little bit hard for living in Shanghai.
The rental will cost you 2000~3000 RMB if you want a single room.

Anyway the average salary for Shanghaier is about 7000~8000 RMB before tax,
if you live a little bit far from Centre city and eat at the dinning-room in the university or do cooking by your self mostly, of couse you can live in Shanghai.

JiaoTong University is the most famouse university in China and they have accomendation for teacher though living-condition is not very well but free or much cheap.
Ask the university for more (accomendation, bonus etc.) is my suggestion.

Andy

Hi elpetrik:
You can ask more salary. You have a master degree. 5797RMB is too little for this. And It is very hard to live in Shanghai with a budget of this amount. Good luck to you.

Foreigners no need to contribute social insurance, instead the company needs to buy ''Business Insurance for foreigners''.