In ITALY RACISM EXISTS YET AND THEY ARE INCREDIBLE

Do you know the campaign “ Say no to racism “ in Italy exists the racism in these days at 2018 in area of Lombardy, so if you go in questura they know that you are from another country or stranieri they just say to you go take someone that know italiano and come i dont know what is this you need to speak generally language as all the world English because we are new in Italy they should know that you are from another country. Also if you go to buy tickets in station or you go buy something and you dont know italiano they will add more on price they steal you in money i dont know what is it, i used to travel world but no where in world no where is it like this ?????

When ever you have something please dont tell them that you are stranieri because they will kick you out.

Racism exists EVERYWHERE, in some parts of the world more in other parts less.
Could it be that Italians are just fed up with too many people invading their country?
I do not blame them, really.

No isnt that they fed up with a lot of people because before 20 years ago  even now they were same my cousins told me, also even they accepted a lot of people they took money from European Union to bring them here. Also even you have business and you a lot of taxes you are here from 15 years you same respect as stranieri i dont know, in switzerland is different life, they need to be more polite if you have someone that you have connection is italian or you have your grandfather italian is not same as immigrants !!

I dont know maybe in South Italy is more good than here in Rome and different cities.

Ask Janingal if she considers herself an “invader”.  Ironic and sad that actual expats can buy into far-right rhetoric.

Adonissze. Unfortunately there is some truth to your observations.  Objectively speaking, Italy is not as open to diversity as the U.K., France or Portugal, the three European countries with the longest history with other parts of the world. A young woman can be racially harassed on the street, and no one would lift a finger, showing a large chunk of the population hold these retrograde views that are not that much different to the 1930s when the same kind of politics were on the rise in Germany and Italy. My only advice would be to choose your interactions carefully and try to avoid potentially toxic situations.

This is my personal opinion.  I don't think racism is the problem here; by this, I don't mean that there are no racists, but xenophobism more accurately describes what is currently going on across the whole of Europe.  If they were racist, then they would hate themselves, a xenophobe hates all foreigners, regardless of nationality, colour, religion, sex, or gender.

What makes it worse is that those people making vast sums of money persuading immigrants that life is fantastic on the European mainland are not warning the victims of the xenophobes, causing strife in the destination country which is furthering the cause of the political right-wing extremists, who are conveniently now describing themselves as "populists"; just look at the recent political elections in Holland, France, Italy, Germany, Hungary, Austria and of course Trump in the USA and Brexit in the UK.

Racism against anyone is pretty ugly and I would request poster be mindful of the strict forum rules on the subject.

adonissze wrote:

No isnt that they fed up with a lot of people because before 20 years ago  even now they were same my cousins told me, also even they accepted a lot of people they took money from European Union to bring them here. Also even you have business and you a lot of taxes you are here from 15 years you same respect as stranieri i dont know, in switzerland is different life, they need to be more polite if you have someone that you have connection is italian or you have your grandfather italian is not same as immigrants !!

I dont know maybe in South Italy is more good than here in Rome and different cities.

Adonissze.  You are absolutely right.   Furthermore..you are right ...,the south is FAR better..My advice would be to live in the South...they are nice people, friendly, sociable  and welcoming..i.e from Naples on down...Puglia, Sicily, etc.   

The North is cold, unfriendly, rude and discourteous...an entirely different world.

There is a fine line between xenophobia and racism. Many more Italians are xenophobes than outright racists, but a distinct racist trend is starting to take hold, largely because of the validation given to racist speech and acts by rightist parties, especially the Lega Nord, which was founded back in the 1990's as a secessionist movement that hated southern Italians, but now they love sourtherners because they have Africans and Latin Americans to hate and as a recreated nationalist party under Salvini are vying for the votes of the South, and it seems that many southerners, stupidly, have very short memories and are being duped into giving them. What must also be kept in mind is that Italy does have a certain racist tradition from its colonialist past, and old phantoms may sleep for long periods but if they wake up are as dangerous as ever.

Hi horseman2012 ,
I read few of your replies and agree with your assessment of the discrimination of north versus south which, in my opinion, could be greatly minimized if the politicians  in Rome  would help, and yes, teh South is more friendly  . But I am not sure about your assessment of the best regions. I think there are a couple of important items to be considered:
1)Is the person moving to Italy to retire or to seek employment. If the latter, the south is not a place for professionals looking for employment. If to retire, I think the south or the central region of Italy would be a good place due to the low costs.   
2)The South lacks services such as good public transportation and public service ( I will never forget the internet provider's service agent literally refused  to fix an internet issue (for which he was responsible for) while recently renting a house in Calabria).

So, if you can deal with the lack of professional employment and  services , the south is great place to reside. But, I would also mention Basilicata and Calabria.
For myself, I was born in Calabria but moved to the US in my teens. Now, as a retiree , I like to return to Italy but the South is not in my plan due to the service issue and personal experiences encountered  during my numerous travels in that part of the country. My experience with friendliness in the north while recently spending  3 months in Verona and 45 days in the Dolomite has been positive. Maybe because everyone viewed me as an American rather than a Calabrese. Regardless, it will not stop me looking at place in the North and Central of Italy and , if I encounter a racist, I will remind them of the origin of "Italia" and that the North would have never been successful in their industrialization without the hard workers of the South. Racism doesn't have a place in any country .