Maltese Citizenship by Descent - Mother passed away before applying

Hello

I would like to know if anyone could provide information on Maltese Citizenship by Descent.

My grand mother and Great grand mother where born in malta, I am a south African citizen and my mother was a South African citizen as well, but she passed away last year, Does that mean that I will not be able to apply for Citizenship as she did not apply for citizenship before passing away ?

Any Information would be helpful

Thanks

Hi

This link below from Chetcuti Cauchi lawyers can be helpful.

It notes that after the citizenship law changed in 2007, there was a period of 3 years when you could still register and be eligible that ended in 2010.  If your mother was alive in August 2010 and did not register within that time period the link may be broken.

However, this is something you should ask directly at Identity Malta office, perhaps there may be another way. Check.

Andrew

https://www.malta-citizenship.eu/malta- … by-descent

I was reading a bit more about this and there may be a way around it. 

The Law says that

Maltese citizenship was conferred at independence, 21 September 1964, upon persons born in Malta who had a Maltese-born parent.

And

Any person born in Malta between 21 September 1964 and 31 July 2001 automatically acquired Maltese citizenship at birth.

You may still be able to register if you can prove that your mom was automatically a citizen, even though she did not register and did not know it, because then the link was not broken.

Talk to Identity Malta or the Maltese Consulate in South Africa.

A

Okay thanks for the reply. Any information is most appreciated