Driving in Kuwait

Hello all!

We will be depending on either taxis or renting a car for the time being given that my husband is in the process of his residency.

As we have moved around lately we came to the conclusion that renting a car will be cheaper than going everywhere via taxi. Some of the car rentals companies have asked us for International Licenses and others have not.

What have your experiences been? Is the International Driving License really necessary? Any thoughts on getting around without it being so expensive?

Thank you!

Impossible to answer unless you tell us how often and where do you need to go.
Car can be rented for around 160 KWD a month, possibly for less. If you need to commute daily then it is most of the time a cheaper option.

HI Becaq

I'll be in more or less  similar situation to you from September. I'm moving to Kuwait to take up a job, and weighing up the options regarding transport.
A colleague has suggested the possibility of leasing a car for an extended period, but has more strongly suggested that buying is preferable.
My sense is that most good vehicles are slightly more expensive to buy in Kuwait that in the UK where I am currently, but this may just be my own perception.
Good luck

I recommend you to buy a second hand car better than renting.

Thank you for tour replies!

We will need to get around quite a bit so we will probably end up buying a used car.

As for licenses what is the procedure? Do I need to get my International driving license?

Until your residency is completed you can and should use your international driving license. However, once you get a residency you are in for a world of pain unless you know someone who knows someone, if you get my drift.

In order to get a driving license you need to:
1. Be a university graduate
2. Earn a monthly salary of at least KD 600
3. Be a resident of Kuwait for not less than two years

There are certain professions that are exempted from the above requirements. You can check the details here:

http://www.arabtimesonline.com/news/con … g-license/

So if you are a "washer of dead bodies" for example, you're in luck! :)

Ribosom wrote:

So if you are a "washer of dead bodies" for example, you're in luck! :)

Darn, I knew I had made the wrong career choice! 😂😂😂

Thanks for the link! It's good to know these things. Considering my husband company doesn't leave people at a location for more than 2 years it seems that getting a license won't be easy for us.
Hopefully his company can sort something out 🤷🏻‍♀️

Thank you!

Becaq wrote:

Hopefully his company can sort something out 🤷🏻‍♀️

Fingers crossed! Bigger companies who value their employees usually can.

Wasta is the word of the day here. Get in touch with your prospective employer ASAP to see if they can help. If your husband gets one and you're bringing kids you get one pretty much automatically I believe

Hello, i would like to know more about Kuwait