Questions - Work, Visa and Property

Good afternoon,

Last year, I spent 6 months in Cambodia and fell in love with the country. Here in Australia, I work as a water quality consultant and we are looking to expand internationally. Naturally, I jumped on the opportunity to expand into SE Asia and particularly into Cambodia.

I'm intending to move to PP around the end of September/ start of October but I thought it would be wise to ask a few questions about business requirements, possible visa requirements and the like. So I have a couple of questions to ask.

Considering that my business is an international one based in Australia, we would look at doing work for certain clients in Cambodia. Living there, I would do the work, but wouldn't be paid directly by these clients.

1) Do you think it would be necessary to set up the business in Cambodia, if the money for services is going to a business based in Australia and my monthly salary is being paid by a business in Australia?

2) If its not necessary to set up the business in Cambodia, how would you advise going about visa and work permits for long-term stays in the country to conduct this work? How does "freelancing", as it were, work in this regard?

3) This is more of a personal question - the mum of my Khmer girlfriend wants me to buy a house in Cambodia. I'm aware of laws regarding strata titled ownership for foreigners and being unable to own landed properties. One of my missionary friends thinks that it may be possible to own a landed property so long as it is 51% in a locals name (like my girlfriends). Does anyone know anything about this?

Looking forward to hearing your responses! Thanks very much :)
Nathaniel

Hello Nathaniel.

First, it is not possible to get a work permit if the company is not registered in Cambodia.

That means you could also not get a business visa as for that you need an official letter from your company with the "registered" stamp on it.

You can register as freelancer and get a work permit and business visa as that.

As for the house buying: don't!

The mother of your gf asks for that? Very fishy I must say.

Come over and rent for at least a year. After that you know what you want, where and how.
Don't get into any financially risky transactions, concentrate on your job and girlfriend and live happily in a rented apartment.

The only thing you could buy in your and girlfriend's name is a condo, if not a certain limit of foreign owners is reached.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodian expert
Expat.com team

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your response! I thought that would be the case for the work permit and visa with ‘freelancing'.

Re the buying a house thing, I've known the family for the 6 months i was there so its probably less fishy than you'd think - I feel she's just concerned that I'm coming in with no financial security and no strong foundation in the country.

I was planning on renting for at least a year as it was anyway, and once we are engaged considering purchasing something from there.

Just pre-thinking on the options and working out what's possible by law and what's not.

Thanks a lot,
Nathaniel