Getting on with Tuk Tuk drivers.

It's hard to get use to at first as it seems every driver asks you  'Tuk Tuk Sir!' ...even when you just get out of one. 
I've actually seen westerners flip the finger, be abusive and get agro when walking along.  The best counter is to just smile and shake your head or wave your hand. Sure, you might have to do this a lot but most drivers will know you after a short time and just smile, I think a lot are just bored and want a chat.
Why ruin your day getting angry when after a while you actually learn to smile more and be more tolerant. I've seen people loose it and then see and hear the drivers laughing afterwards...maybe the joke is on us.
  I once saw a marathon runner absolutely exhausted and coming near last when a Tuk driver resting in the back of his carriage yelled out laughing..  'Tuk Tuk Sir!'... I nearly coughed up my coffee.
To live in Cambodia, love it.

Nice post Rainman.

I'm always baffled that they think we barang are brainless. I mean there are 20 tuktuks parked on corners of a street but still they feel the need to make you aware that there is a tuktuk available.

I think all expats are aware that a tuktuk is for transport and if you need one you just take one, plenty [too many] available. Tourists also might be aware of the existence of tuktuks.

So totally useless to call people that are just walking past. It's not that the one who calls the loudest gets the trip, they have a system and one of them is the next to take passengers.

So really useless, but having said that it doesn't bother me, I shake my head slightly and that's enough.

I must say with the new taxi hailing services like PassApp and Grab plus some local ones like We Go the number of rickshaws is slowly taking over from tuktuks and that is a good thing. Those tuktuks block every corner of every street and are a nuisance, they sometimes park double or triple.
As every tuktuk driver can change to the PassApp c.s. services I can only hope that many will do that so that the number of obstructing tuktuks will be much less. The rickshaws are smaller and more agile, so faster in heavy traffic, and about half the price of tuktuk demands. No discussions with drivers as it's an app and you get a message at the end about the fare.

But nobody should get upset about calling tuktuk drivers, I remember times in Thailand where I was constantly called by guys for either a tuktuk, a tour, a show, a tailor or whatever. Here in PP it's only tuktuk drivers, so not that bad.

Cheers.

Joe

I
Can't
Stand
Them.

As simple as that. I'm coming to think that they take it as a joke but don't realize how irittating this is. It makes it just impossible to wander peacefully. The government just take actions against that.

AlexH2018 wrote:

I
Can't
Stand
Them.

As simple as that. I'm coming to think that they take it as a joke but don't realize how irittating this is. It makes it just impossible to wander peacefully. The government just take actions against that.

Relax, just relax.
Why would you let them disturb your inner balance and inner peace?
Ignore them or smile and walk on.

I must say I'm more annoyed by their horrible parking habits [on corners, double or triple] then their calling, but also their parking doesn't disturb my inner peace.

Life is too short to get upset by unimportant matters.

Namaste.

Joe

Do as Asian do ! Just ignore them, not even a look, do as if they were invisible. So easy. It also apply to beggars.